We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funny money

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 16
Funny money

Did a search and found nothing. So I ask you fine folks, on my way to Vancouver, is there a good place to buy Canadian dollars before we cross over? I'm just thinking banks and businesses in your area would be very willing to sell their Can. money, at a decent rate.

Thanks.

Oregon
reviews: 16
11. Re: Funny money

Just trying to think up a title that would get some attention, leading to helpful information. No disrespect meant. Proof? Did you find a problem with my actual post?

Edited: 1:09 am, August 25, 2011
western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
12. Re: Funny money

Everyone thinks everyone elses money looks funny, because it does, to them. I've known hundreds of exchange students and they universally think all other forms of currency besides their own are non-intuitive to recognize. So it isn't a lack of respect, it is an acknowledgement of the difficulty in wrapping your brain around different looking coins and denominations. Money shapes and values are taught to children at a very young age.

Regarding the exchange in Canada, you can just spend US cash dollars. Try to bring a lot of smaller bills or you will get a lot of loonie and toonie coins. It is hard to spend Canadian currency here in the US. We usually stop at the grocery store in Surrey to spend all the collected coins on Old Dutch Ketchup Chips and funny candy (again, different to us). Unfortunately we can no longer buy Mackintosh's Toffee (great sadness).

They have the chip and pin cards in Canada, but if you have a debit card with a Visa / MC logo it will work. The cashier might have to put it in differently.

Speaking of money, don't forget to turn off your dataphone at the border if you don't have some kind of a plan set up. The phone companies are now required by law to send you a text message warning you of the huge data charges you are about to incur! If you rely on your phone's mapping software, get a paper map in the states before you go. It's really easy to get lost in Vancouver. Many people there just use transit and can't help you find the way by car.

13. Re: Funny money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 pm, October 16, 2012