We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funny money

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 18
Funny money

Did a search and found nothing. So I ask you fine folks, on my way to Vancouver, is there a good place to buy Canadian dollars before we cross over? I'm just thinking banks and businesses in your area would be very willing to sell their Can. money, at a decent rate.

Thanks.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: Funny money

Dollars are pretty much on par right now.

I always just use an ATM.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
2. Re: Funny money

An ATM will give you the best rate (bank interchange rate). Some places will take US dollars, but won't give you a good exchange rate.

I recently used a VanCity credit union ATM and it only charged $1.50 for a withdrawal.

Renton, WA
3. Re: Funny money

Why bother? We just returned from a trip to Vancouver Island and the only Canadian money we touched came to us as change for US greenbacks; we used our credit card extensively. When we checked out of our hotel we left all of our Canadian money for the housekeeper (plus some US $$).

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 125
4. Re: Funny money

You get your best rate from your credit/debit card. On our last trip I did a websearch for credit unions in the towns closest to the border. As a member of a credit union, it eliminates some of the charges. I got enough Canadian money for our pockets (tips, parking, odds and ends where they only take cash). At the end of our trip, before going home, we used up our remaining Canadian cash at a restaurant.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
5. Re: Funny money

"Funny money" haha , try referring to our currency like that when you are here and see the response you get, not good , especially as it has been at par or higher lately as noted

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
6. Re: Funny money

I think people mean the colorful bills you have when calling it funny money or monopoly money). Sadly US money doesn't seem to have the latest & greatest anti-counterfeit features as many other foreign currencies have & US banks are unwilling to put chips in our credit cards as it is 'too expensive.'

7. Re: Funny money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:29 am, August 31, 2011
Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
8. Re: Funny money

then you need to lighten up

9. Re: Funny money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:29 am, August 31, 2011
Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
10. Re: Funny money

great, now we are in grade school