We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
reviews: 56
Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

My daughter and I are are spending two days in Bellingham in August, then headed down to Portland and the Columbia River Gorge via Seaside. We have three days/ 2 nights to get from Bellingham to Seaside (August 20, 21, ending in seaside on the 22nd)- with a car. Suggestions for routes/places to stay? Many thanks!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
1. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

May I ask why Seaside?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
reviews: 90
2. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

I wondered the same thing--with all the great places to stay along the Oregon Coast, Seaside is certainly not my first choice. But, depending on the age of your daughter, maybe. The kids and teens love it - lots of arcade games, carnival rides and a reasonably decent beach.

It is only a 6 hour drive from Bellingham to Seaside either via Olympia/Raymond on Hwys I-5 and 101 or exit I-5 at Longview and take Hwy 30 to Astoria/Seaside. Are you planning to spend any time in Seattle? What about Mt. Rainier and/or Mt. St. Helens?

With three days you could also take the ferry to Port Townsend, and see Olympic National Park, traveling down the west side Hwy 101 to Astoria. However, since your 3 days fall on a weekend, that would not be my top choice as you would likely have long ferry waits, and getting accomodations might be difficult.

South Florida...
3. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Hi, We were interested in a one night stop on the Oregon coast. Our trip is as follows: Aug 16 & 17 in Seattle; August 18&19 in Bellingham with friends; Aug 20, 21, 22 ???? Aug 23 along the Columbia River Gorge in The Dalles, OR; and Aug 24 25 in Portland, flying back to East coast on Aug 26. My daughter is 19, and we are veteran road-trippers- last summer in Utah, the summer before in California. So driving is no problem. We like hiking, and scenic drives. Any suggestions for the Washington part of the trip, or a place to stay along the Oregon coast, would be most appreciated. Thanks! Oh, Seaside was written up in the Washington Post last Sunday...so we thought we'd stay there, but reserv can be cancelled.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 41
4. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

With 3 days, I'd go overnight in Yachats and return to Portland. It's unclear why you want only one night on the coast. While here, I'd say, take advantage of the coastal route south at least to Florence, spend two nights.

Oregon Coast

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

Newport, OR Lots of things to see here, including Sea Lions down on, and around, the docks in Olde Towne.

http://discovernewport.com/

www.aquarium.org

Yachats/Cape Perpetua Spectacular, you won't regret this.

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Yachats, OR (La Di Da)

http://www.el.com/to/yachats/

http://www.yachats.org/events.html

Fireside or Overleaf Lodges, sister properties adjacent, among the best coastal lodging for the view and comfort and location.

The Columbia River Gorge can be as short as a half day out of Portland. Beautiful area. See also Bonneville Dam a short way further. Take the scenic hwy. off the freeway to see and access the many waterfalls and hikes.

Columbia River Gorge

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

http://www.spectacularoregon.com/

I'd skip Seaside and try for lodging in, e.g., Manzanita or Cannon Beach, but usually there are two night minimums. There are lots of motels, so if it's just to crash for the night, I'd just check them out on the web.

Edited: 12:38 pm, July 14, 2010
South Florida...
5. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Thank you so much! I'm checking my maps to see how to work this itinerary - we will skip Seaside in favor of one of the places you have recommended. Can we get to Yachats from Bellingham in one day? Or do we need an overnight in Washington State to do that?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 41
6. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Check with Google Maps; it's pretty far. I'd stay in, for example, Astoria, Seaside or Cannon Beach, just for that night. From there you have an interesting and geographically diverse scenic drive south.

There are a couple of southbound options after Olympia; check out the map, any leading to the WA coast are IMO fine to take, but they will add some time. From Route 12 you can take Rte. 101 south. That might be the most efficient and get you off the freeway (I-5) and avoid Portland traffic.

South Florida...
7. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Thanks - I looked at the Overleaf Lodge - it looks wonderful! I think that your suggestion of staying one night in Astoria/Seaside and then heading down the coast is perfect. Thanks so much!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
8. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

I agree with Voyaging's post. Seaside is one of the last places would stay on the Oregon Coast. I also prefer the Central oregon Coast. My last two trips we spent in Yachats. I would decide what kinds of things you want to do. There is great hiking at Mt. Baker if you want to do that with your friends while in Bellingham (great town) .Or you could spend one day on your way and visit beautiful Mt. RaInier Nat. Park. Interstate 5 is a boring drive, but the fastest way North and South. I agree one day is enough for the Gorge, wether you spend the night there or not. I would probably choose to day trip from Portland. You could then go I 26 to Cannon Beach, but I would save the time and head south from Portland on 5 to Corvalis and west to Newport. The distance is 136 miles. From Corvalis to Newport is a little slow going. This, however will get you to the Coast sooner to enjoy it. Cape Pertpetua is feffinatley worth some time.

Bellingham...
reviews: 24
9. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

Yes, you can get to Yachats in one day. It takes about 7 or 8 hours from Bellingham. There are many different routes to get there. The fastest, but rather boring, is straight down I-5 to Albany/Corvalis area and take Hwy 20 out to Newport, then Hwy 101 south to Yachats.

Or as suggested, you can take the drive down Hwy 101. Where you pick up 101 is all up to you. You can jump off I-5 in Olympia and head out to the WA coast and head south into Oregon. You can jump off I-5 farther south past Olympia and head out through Rochester, or farther still and get off in the Longview area.

There are lots of options.

Personally, I love Seaside. I've been wanting to visit again. The town does have that beach/tourist thing going, some may find it tacky. I find it charming. There are absolutely the best bumper cars on the face of the earth there! A stroll down the boardwalk is very enjoyable and poking thru the variety of shops along the main street is fun.

Just down the road from Seaside you'll find Cannon Beach. It's about a 20-30 minute drive at the most. It's a smaller community, but more upscale. Lots of art galleries. It's a beautiful place to stay or visit.

If you decide to stay in either Seaside or Cannon Beach, or just pass through on you way south, Yachats is about a 4 hour drive from there.

I've spent a considerable amount of time visiting the Oregon coast, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hope you enjoy that loop of your trip.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
10. Re: Itinerary? Bellingham to Oregon coast (Seaside)

I try to get to Yachats every summer. I personally we take I 5 to Corvalis and over. It is boring, but 101 really takes time. Do not forget Cape Perpetua. Break up the long drive with a side trip to the Gorge. Newport and Florence are fun places to vist.