We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing, United...
reviews: 18
Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Hello. We're going to be based in Bellingham (Sudden Valley) for three weeks in September. We'll cover a lot of local ground but would also like to try a few extended car tours - maybe just day trips, maybe longer trips with overnight stops. Our priorities will be scenery, wildlife and short hikes (up to about 6 miles). We'd welcome any recommendations.

I believe the Cascade Loop is a good bet. Where would you stop for the night? We thought perhaps somewhere near Chelan, based purely on studying a map.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 8
1. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

The Cascade loop is a good bet. I would start by going over Steven's Pass, and come back west on Highway 20. There is a cascade loop website, and you can review possible places to stay on this site (there are so many). http://www.cascadeloop.com/

Deception Pass, between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands, is 45 minutes from Bellingham (by the way, I live in Sudden Valley, and grew up 5 minutes from Deception Pass). There are good walking trails there.

I also recommend the Mt. Baker Highway. Great fall colors, particulary Mt. Shuksan and Picture Lake (or is it Reflection Lake?), one of the most photographed scenes in the World, and great in later September with the fall colors.

www.photoseek.com/99SHU-01-07-Mt-Shuksan.jpg

Chuckanut Drive just south of Bellingham is a great drive, with great views of Puget Sound.

Other people will have good ideas too.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
2. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Base? Winthrop or any nearby town.

See the Inside Page entitled Seattle Base, here:

www.tripadvisor.com/members-inside/voyaging

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
3. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Brian has already listed some great suggestions.

I'd add check out the Oyster Run (Sept 28th)

http://www.oysterrun.org/

On a non Oyster Run weekend Anacortes and Orca Island would be a nice overnight - ferry over to Orca and play around then ferry back and stay in Anacortes.

Bellingham has lots of wonderful parks to explore - and an interurban trail - there are maps at the visitor's center. Whatcom Falls park is my fave in the fall.

Anacortes...
4. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Be aware on Oyster Run Sunday traffic anywhere in Skagit County is evil....motorcycles everywhere! Ferries are usually packed and you can expect at least a one ferry wait to or from the islands. Best timing is to arrive really early on Sunday am and leave early or late (motorcycles are cleared off the street by 7pm)

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
5. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

You're right, I've never taken a car there - I think you can park in the Safeway parking lot then walk a few blocks to the "action".

I know you asked for day trips, but this is my favorite park in Bellingham (some locals don't even know it is there) Big Rock Garden. Here is the link to see if you want to check it out:

cob.org/services/…bigrock.aspx

Anacortes...
6. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Safeway really discourages Oyster Run attendees from using their parking lot as they prefer to keep it available for customers....

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
7. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

PNWAuntiem, thanks, look forward to visiting that park.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

Just to say thanks, everybody. You've given us a terrific selection of things to do!

9. Re: Any recomended car tours from Bellingham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bellingham