We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

Which Winchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 3
Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

My older kids are attending a camp in High View, WV for a week in August. I am looking for a place to stay for 6 nights with my 5 and 3 yr old so that I don't have to travel home and back again. Looking for a comfy place that will accommodate kids, a pool and kitchen would be a bonus. Of course, value is important, too. Also looking for things to do to help make this time special since the 4 older kids will be having fun at camp, Dad will be in Afghanistan and the little ones are stuck with Mom.

Thanks in advance for any info!

5 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 94
1. Re: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn Winchester North, 1204 Berryville Avenue and the Wingate by Wyndham, 150 Wingate Drive. The Hampton had a nice outdoor pool, the Wingate had a small indoor pool. The Wingate was more centrally located to restaurants and shops. Both hotels offered a free continental breakfast. There is also a Hampton Inn near the Wingate at 1655 Apple Blossom Drive. Your kids would probably enjoy the Jim Barnett Park that is located near the Wingate. Definitely take the kids to Sweet Frog Premium Yogurt, 2030 South Pleasant Valley Road (near the Wingate) where they can choose from many flavors of frozen yogurt and tons of toppings and syrups. I'm not sure what else to suggest that would be of interest to your kids as when we visited the area, it was an adult group and we visited several historical sites.

There is Wilson's Wild Animal Park in Winchester that might be of interest but I don't know anything about it.

Yorktown, Virginia
reviews: 24
2. Re: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

Have you looked at the MWR facility in Sugar Grove, WV? They have cottages which include kitchens & there's a pool at the base as well. It's a small facility, so not sure if it's what you're after, but the value will definitely be there.

Another alternative, which might be more expensive but would provide more entertainment possibilities, would be Massanutten. You can often find them on AFVC & they have a great indoor water park that I'm sure the little ones would enjoy.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
3. Re: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

wheres_my_calgon has an excellent suggestion with Massanutten. They often have rentals listed on AFVC. We stayed there a few years ago. Just do your "homework" on the activities and their associated costs. Also be careful about purchasing their Activity Card - it may not be worth it if you are only doing a few activities. The swimming pool is one of the only free activities. The link below is for the Spring Entertainment Guide and will give you an idea of the activities and costs.

…indigofiles.com/activities/Spring_13_Entert…

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 3
4. Re: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

Just an update. We are on day 5 of our 8 day vacation in Winchester. Decided to stay at the TownePlace Suites. Have a true one bedroom for the kids and 'ole Mom is on the pull out. But we have a full kitchen, free breakfast and LOTS of space. Also 10% discount at restaurants in the area with room key - bonus! Day one was travel. Day 2 we went to Dinosaurland in the AM and the hotel pool in the PM. Slightly pricey, lots of shade and an hour of time spent. Day 2 was the Discovery Museum. AWESOME! Spent 4 hours there, ate in the walking Mall and went back in the afternoon. Kids loved it! Day 3 was visiting some friends in the AM and visiting Pot Belly Pottery in the PM. They will fire our painted pottery and have it ready on Saturday for us to pick up. Day 4 we went to a Movie at Apple Blossom Mall and walked around the mall. They have a play place and lots of activities to keep the kids busy. Could have gone to Alamo Cinema for a $1 movie but it was Spy Kids and my kids have seen it before. Also tonight is a free movie on the lawn of the Courthouse but too late for my little guys. Tomorrow we will go to Wilson's Wild Animal Park. In the evening, we will go to First Friday in Old Town Winchester ( free) and Saturday there is a show at the Bright Box theater at noon - a world champion Frisbee guy. Whatever - for $9 total, I am a happy camper! There is a TON to do in Winchester. We have not even had time to go to the parks yet. My kids are happy with the hotel pool and one or two activities per day. Will maybe hit a farmer's market before we head home. Go visit Winchester - it is a great town!!!

Edited: 7:42 pm, August 08, 2013
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
5. Re: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week

Glad to hear your visit is going well. We were in Winchester in July and also stayed at the TownePlace Suites. It's a great location and good amenities.

Reply to: Looking for place to stay with kids for a week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted