We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Winchester - what to do?

Which Winchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 102
One day in Winchester - what to do?

We will be spending a day in Winchester in mid-July. Since our time is limited, I'd like to know what are the must see places. We enjoy a wide variety of activities. Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
1. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

I'd also appreciate any restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner, especially those that are reasonably priced. We don't like seafood but have no other restrictions.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
2. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

The Naked Oyster is a great place for lunch/dinner at Winchester at Exit 31A.

Naked Oyster @ 2444 Valley Avenue, Winchester, VA 540 - 678 - 0778.

http://www.thenakedoysterwinchester.com/

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
3. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

Thanks for the recommendation. We don't eat seafood so I'm still open for other restaurant recommendations.

Maryland
reviews: 5
4. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

Winchester's very comfortable Visitors Center is easy to find, where you can pick up brochures. Exit I-81 onto US Route 50 west, then immediately at the fork, bear right and go in front of the Shenandoah University campus (my daughter is a student there). Pass the 2 prominent buildings (the Ohlstrom-Bryant theater and the Harry Byrd school of business) and immediately turn Right on Pleasant Valley Road and into the Visitors Center, which is in a stand-alone building with a green yard, next to a historic stone house.

The historic Loudoun Street pedestrian-only zone downtown, is worth strolling through, it has some cafe's and shops. The downtown public library with its ornate dome, is unusual. The rather new, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is on Amherst Street (Route 50 West, also accessible from Route 37 bypass) and tells the general history of the area. Singer, Patsy Cline's tiny house, was recently opened for tours. In outlying areas (15+ minutes away) are winery tours, a (free) arboretum, and public orchards.

Edited: 12:42 am, June 09, 2012
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
5. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

MarylandMist - thank you for the helpful information. We will definitely make a stop at the Visitor's Center for more information and brochures.

Winchester, Virginia
6. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

I recommend checking out George Washington's Headquarter's. It's on the corner of Braddock and Cork streets. It's small, but very interesting.

I second the Loudoun streeet mall and seeing the library. Cork street tavern is on one end of the mall and is a good place to eat.

Ontario
reviews: 52
7. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn and Suites, can we walk to Loudoun Street ?

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
8. Re: One day in Winchester - what to do?

We changed our plans and spent 2 days in Winchester. We visited the Loundoun Street Mall, Bellegrove Plantation, Jim Barnett Park, and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. We also enjoyed a free concert at Shenandoah University. It was a relaxing visit and we look forward to a return visit next year.

Reply to: One day in Winchester - what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted