We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winchester Va or Frederick Md

Which Winchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medford, NY
reviews: 7
Winchester Va or Frederick Md

Traveling to this area mid October for about 5 nights. Civil war buffs. My question is this, which town is best to stay in and travel from, Winchester or Frederick? Also interested in an area with shopping and a little nightlife, we are over 50 so we are not party animals!

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

OOOh, this is a good one to ponder.

First I would ask specifically what Civil War sites do you want to be closest to? Gettysburg-then definitely Frederick.

Manassas and sites south towards Fredericksburg, VA, then Winchester.

Lots of good antique shopping in Frederick. There is outlet mall shopping not too far away in Hagerstown. And more or less equidistant from both are outlet shops in Leesburg.

Shenandoah valley area around Winchester is beautiful-especially in October. Catoctin mountain area, Cunningham Falls and the area around Camp David are not far from Frederick.

If you are a fan of Patsy Cline-she is from Winchester. You can go see her house.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
2. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

It definitely depends on which battlegrounds. I stayed in Frederick last year, and had very easy day trips to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harpers Ferry, as well as the local Monacacy Battlefield. There's a Civil War Medical Museum downtown that helped us pass the time during an afternoon thunderstorm.

Frederick has a nice walkable downtown with plenty of nice restaurant choices, and a brewpub with a nice outdoor deck if the weather is still nice.

Medford, NY
3. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

Thanks for the feedback. Frederick Md is where we will stay. May I ask which hotel you stayed at and would you recommend it?

thank you

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
4. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Frederick, just south of the downtown area, and I do recommend it for the value. The room had a couch, free internet, a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker, and most importantly, a comfortable bed, all for around $100 per night. There was also a computer in the lobby you could use. I looked at some B&Bs in the area, which I'm sure were nice, but I just could not justify the higher cost for what you got.

I also recommend dinner at Monocacy Crossing, which is south of there on Urbana Turnpike, and a little Spanish place called Cacique, downtown.

Medford, NY
5. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

I will check it out.

Thank you!

6. Re: Winchester Va or Frederick Md

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 24, 2010