We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large family trip, please give pointers

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Large family trip, please give pointers

I've been put in charge of sketching out ideas for a trip "out east" for my husband's whole family. We have my crew of 4, brother in law's 4 plus grandma and grandpa. That's 10 for those counting, including kids aged: 4, 8, 9, 12. The adults are all colonial history buffs, none of us have visited Virginia before. We're all northern midwest folks. We would be renting cars. Looking for housing ideas around or under $3,000 for the week we'll be there, looking at June. To keep costs down, we need housing w/ kitchenette. I'll be poking around the site looking for ideas, but what kid's activities are around that won't have the adults bored to tears? Good places to eat, stay, play? I'm such a newbie at anything out east.

Level Contributor
265 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

Not sure how non-ownership works with timeshares, but a lot of those units have kitchens. We own at Williamsburg Plantation (we like it a lot) and their "stacked" unit is a 4-br that sleeps 12 w/ the pull-out sofas. Full kitchen downstairs and an almost full one upstairs (no range). Other timeshares may be similar.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

I would definitely be looking at VRBO for vacation homes.

There are a lot of activities at Colonial Williamsburg for children. I don't think they'd bore the adults to tears, but you can always "trade off" so that all the adults aren't always with the kids. See: www.history.org

Another good site for activities for both adults and children is Historic Jamestowne, the National Park Service site and the site of the actual Jamestown. Our kids were always as fascinated by the glassblowers as we were! www.nps.gov/jame

Finally, while I have not personally been there, the Jamestown Settlement gets very good reviews and there is lots for kids to do there that should not be boring for adults. See: www.historyisfun.org

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
147 reviews
3. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

For a group that size, if you do want to eat at one of the authentic restaurants in Colonial Williamsburg, make and sure and book *well* ahead.

There is plenty to do to keep all happy. Most venues are geared at multiple age groups.

Level Contributor
737 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

Another place the adults and children will like is the Mariners Museum in Newport News, about a thirty minute drive from Williamsburg. Large grounds, large collection, interesting history of seafaring, and the Monitor Center about the Civil War iron clad vessel.

Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

You should look at one or more condos at one of the many timeshare properties. Rentals are available for non-owners.

I also think Jamestown Settlement is a good choice for families. A visit to Historic Jamestowne NP site is worthwhile to see the "real thing" as well.

Don't be afraid to break up into groups instead of traveling as a single group.

Be sure to look into combination ticket offers for the sites you wish to visit. Most of combination ticket offers can be found at the CW website. Start at www.history.org.

Edited: 12:25 pm, December 13, 2013
6. Re: Large family trip, please give pointers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 15, 2014