We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wayne pa
reviews: 22
March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

I'm trying to decide if March 22-28 would be a good time to take my children, 10 and 12, for their first trip to Williamsburg during spring break. I'd like them to see all the main sites; CW, Yorktown, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens. I'm concerned that since our school has such an early spring break, CW may have a limited schedule of activities and Busch Gardens may only be open weekends. Since the 2014 schedules aren't available on either the BG or CW sites I was wondering if some experts could help me with this question.

Edited: 12:24 pm, July 26, 2013
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 48
1. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

Colonial Williamsburg will be gearing up for their regular season, and you're right, Busch Gardens will likely be open only weekends (including Fridays) then. BG usually opens daily during a couple of weeks during spring breaks, which usually are related to Easter. Easter is late in 2014, it falls on April 20. Locally, schools are scheduled to be on break the week of April 7. The plus side for you would be fewer people, so shorter lines for attractions (if there are lines at all). Also, the weather here is usually quite nice, though we do have some rainy, cloudy or colder days on occasion.

wayne pa
2. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

Thank you Zoey1996! With your good news about CW, I will definitely start planning our trip, keeping in mind that our BG trip should be on Sunday. I think the dates might work out well since there will be no large spring break crowds and the weather will be more manageable than in the summer months. Very excited for the kids to see the area. We have been to many of the east coast revolutionary sites and this trip to Williamsburg will complete the picture.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 1
3. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

Keep in mind, however, that Busch Gardens may not be open at all that early, due to the later Easter holiday next year. This year, Easter was March 31, and BG only opened on the weekend of March 22. So, with Easter later next year on April 20, BG may not open on weekends until later as well.

Busch Gardens' phone number is (800) 343-7946. You may want to call them to see if any information is available about planned 2014 spring weekend openings.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 18
4. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

The 2014 Season at CW will start around the 17th of March, so many programs and activities will not be up and running that soon after the winter season ends, especially new evening programs or Rev City scenes. Yet there should be more than plenty of activities to keep your family busy during your visit to CW. Jamestown and Yorktown do not vary that much throughout the year so your visit should come at a fine time. Check the websites as your visit draws closer to see what is being planned during your time here.

wayne pa
5. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

Thanks BixDoc I called BG but they are not certain when the park will open for 2014 at this point. They said to check back in November.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 1
6. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

You're welcome -- that's pretty typical of BG to hold off on the next year's opening dates due to admission sales, profits, etc. But as catneal said, there is plenty to do here, and that time of year has plenty of historic triangle activities, as well as off season rates for hotels and tickets. So if the 10 and 12 year olds (and you!) can overlook the amusement park visit, you should have a great time here.

Birmingham, AL
7. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

So happy to see this post. Hubby and I decided to take our kids to CW for our upcoming Spring Break and our dates are the same as yours. Thinking of camping there for a week. Good info to know about BG.

8. Re: March 22 - March 28, 2014 visit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 02, 2014