We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local food/dish

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
local food/dish

I'm coming from Rhode Island. What food/dish should i not miss in VA. I love trying foods that are traditional/popular to a certain area that might be different than back home.

Dallas, Tx
reviews: 27
1. Re: local food/dish

When I go to this area, I love to eat peanut soup or peanut pie and Virginia ham.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 1
2. Re: local food/dish

Shrimp and cheese grits at Aroma's on Prince George Street in Williamsburg. Crab Cakes at Berret's in Merchants Square.

rhode island
3. Re: local food/dish

thank you. i will try the ham and would love to try the peanut pie also

rhode island
4. Re: local food/dish

i love seafood so i will try them as well. shrimp and grits sound fun. thanks

Dallas, Tx
5. Re: local food/dish

I wish I could find the peanut soup and peanut pie more easily. We found these at Surrey House restaurant (you have to take the ferry across the James River) a few years back. Delicious! That was the only time I have ever tasted peanut pie (somewhat like a pecan pie). I know some of the Virginia diner type places seem to carry the pie, but I am not sure if any are located right in Williamsburg. In fall 2011 I found peanut soup in at the Smithfield Ham shoppe in Williamsburg, but to us it seemed inferior to the one at Surrey House (watery and lacking flavor). I wish I knew of a place right in Williamsburg where we could get a slice of peanut pie. I've read something about the Jamestown Pie Company having it, The Virginia ham seems a lot easier to find. I know Old Chickahominy House has it with their thin, Virginia style biscuits. Last visit to Williamsburg there was some put with my fried chicken at Christiana Campbell's. I think there was some with our lunch (biscuits with Virginia ham) at the Dale House in Historic Jamestowne which is serviced by Carrot Tree Kitchens.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 41
6. Re: local food/dish

You can get peanut soup at some of CW's taverns. The Virginia ham is also available with some dishes at the taverns. Peanut pie is available at the Jamestown Pie Company. I've seen Virginia ham biscuits at the Cheese Shop.

Dallas, Tx
7. Re: local food/dish

Thanks, Zoey!

rhode island
8. Re: local food/dish

thanks guys, i cant wait to try these dishes

9. Re: local food/dish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, July 19, 2014