We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
long island, ny
reviews: 16
Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Who:

Me, husband, boys (11 and 12), grandma and grandpa

This was our kids first trip to the area. My husband and I haven't been in 18 years. We did go a few times when I was a kid, so I am not sure when the last time my parents were there.

We purchased the 7 day bounce tickets to all 3 attractions. If purchased online there was a 20% discount. An adult pass was about $103 for the week! Bargain!

Sunday:

Arrived in the afternoon. We stayed at Williamsburg Plantation. It was nice. We had a 2 bedroom unit. It was clean but not updated...no granite here! The location was great only about 15 minutes. We were busy so we didn't spend much time there. The pool looked nice, but we didn't use it.

Monday:

It was a rainy morning, but we decided to head over to Busch Gardens. The rain subsided and we had a great day! All of the coasters were sooo much fun! Even Grandpa rode all of them and he's a big chicken! We decided to head to Oktoberfest for lunch. We remembered the show being great there. Well, I guess things changed! the show was awful! It was very loud, goofy songs sung by classic characters...three little bears, little red riding hood,etc. I guess those under 5 would love it! I missed the German dancing where they braided the pole with ribbon!

We left the park around 7pm and had dinner in the unit. Grandma was kind enough to prepare and freeze some meals ahead of time!

Tuesday:

We went to water country USA. Had lots of fun. Some of the bigger slides had long lines, but others were only a 15min wait. The Hubba Hubba Hwy was a big hit! We had lunch at the Sub and Pub shop. the wrap sandwich was good. I think the biggest bargain was a generous size side salad for only $2.99. Also, this is the only place with good beer on tap....we don't like Bud!

We left around 6pm and had dinner in our unit.

Wednesday:

We decided to sleep in a bit. We went to Colonial Williamsburg at 3pm. We walked around several building and went into the Governors Palace...our guide was really good and kept it very entertaining! We had a 7pm reservation at Christiana Campbell's.

The food was good, but a little pricey for what it is. You are paying for the atmosphere as well! My mother and I had the special, salmon with crabcake. It was very good. The crab cake was loaded with crab and just a little bit of seasoning. I hate when they are spicy! My father and husband had the fried chicken dinner. My husband thought it was too salty, but then again he takes salt off of pretzels! My 12yo had the rib eye. He loved it! It was a very thin cut though. My 11yo just shared some chicken, he said he wasn't hungry. We had a bottle of wine and my husband had a few beers. The bill with tip was $310.00.

After dinner we went over to the ghost tavern tour. It was OK, nothing special. Not much walking at all. Just a few quick stories about ghost sighting told from the street about the building you are standing in front of. Our tour guide wasn't the most engaging person! I think it could have been better.

Thursday:

Back to busch gardens. We decided to have lunch at the Bistro...table service. It was nice to sit out side by Griffon, but the food is really just a sampling of what can be found around the park. I had a club sandwich with pasta salad and fruit. It was huge. I should have split it!

Dinner back at the unit.

Friday:

My parents needed retail therapy and headed to the outlets. They stopped for lunch at Dogstreet Pub. they said it was good.

We took the kids to Water country. My husband and I napped and read for 5 hours. The kids spent the entire time in the Hubba Hubba Hwy! The kids ate there, but we didn't soooo getting hungry!

We got back to the unit and my parents were back from shopping.

My husband and I went to Food for Thought. Wow! What an interesting place with great food. I had the special...scallops wrapped in bacon...delish!

We liked it so much, my parents and 12yo went to dinner when we got home. (ds11 isn't a big eater, so he ate some leftovers! very easy to please!) They came back very happy as well!

Saturday:

DS12 was getting tired and it was raining. He decided not to join us at Busch Gardens but went shopping with the grandparents. (he is sneaker obsessed and knows they will be stopping at the NIKE outlet!)

Well, it was a very rainy day. We were there during severe thunderstorms. We hid in the pub in Ireland for at least an hour. The rain finally cleared out after hours and hours! We got in all of our rides! We had lunch in Italy. The canneloni was very good!

We saw the show in Ireland during the rain. I think that was the best show I've ever seen in an amusement park....really well done! Don't miss it!!! We stayed until closing time, so we just picked up KFC on the way back.

My parents and ds12 went to second street restaurant for lunch. They said the burgers were absolutely delicious...we were sorry we missed it!

Sunday:

We checked out at 9am and went to breakfast at Astronomical Pancakes. I am not much of a breakfast eater, but I did have the veggie omlet and they cooked it perfectly..."I told them lightly cooked please"...I don't like any brown on my eggs!

DS12 got the pancakes...they were huge!!! i think a family of four could eat off that one plate! everyone enjoyed their breakfast. the coffee was a little weak for me!

We were on the road at 10am. It was a long ride home...lots and lots of traffic. We finally arrived home at 10:45pm!!!! We did stop at the Maine Ave Fish Mkts in DC to have some crabs, but that didn't take long.

We had a great vacation! I think my kids liked Busch Gardens better than Disney! (not enough thrill rides for them)

Pennsylvania
reviews: 26
1. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Sounds like a great trip. We were at the Plantation that same week. Agreed that it needs to be updated. we were down in the pet friendly units, so I expected some "blemishes"

Alburtis...
reviews: 43
2. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Thanks for your tr. Hoping to go to Williamsburg and Bg for the 1st time this summer. May I ask where did you buy your bounce ticket at? I can;t seem to find it online Thanks!

long island, ny
3. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Tracey, I was just going to respond to your disboards question with my trip report and saw your question. That is very funny!!!!!

We bought them online on the Busch Gardens website. Like someone over there said, it is probably too early in the year.

long island, ny
4. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

I found it.....

seaworldparks.com/buschgardens-williamsburg/…

Edit: sorry that isn't it! doesn't have colonial williamsburg! oops!

Edited: 4:03 pm, January 22, 2013
long island, ny
5. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Ok now I found a better link....if you scroll down you will see that ticket has no price yet for 2013.

http://www.williamsburgvacations.com/tickets

Alburtis...
reviews: 43
6. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

Thanks! Will keep checking!

7. Re: Trip report 8/19 to 8/26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 25, 2014