We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
gettysburg,pa
Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

We are headed to Williamsburg in late July (we will be arriving late night on Wed the 25th and leaving on Sun the 29th). We will have a four year old, and an almost 2 year old with us. We are staying at the Econo Lodge that is located within 3 blocks of the historic district. We are looking for inexpensive things to do but that will also be interesting for the kids. I was thinking of Jamestown/Yorktown so my kids could see the boats? What else is there to see/do (I know there are tons of things) that would be best for our short trip. Also, I know they are expensive, but are the colonial dinners worth the price and would they be suitable for children? Trying to decide if I should budget one in while we are there....

Thank You!

New Castle...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 13
1. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

I like to to eat dinner at the taverns when we are in Williamsburg. But, I have seen families with small, tired children, who after a day at Jamestown or one of the other area attractions, are not as happy as I am. Typically the dinners take about an hour or so from start to finish. You will have to decide if your kids would appreciate the ambiance that goes with the dinner. Perhaps you might eat lunch at Chownings' outdoor seating during an afternoon there. I am not trying to discourage you from a tavern dinner, but they are a bit pricey. Check the menus online and make your decision then.

I do think your kids will appreciate a few hours at Jamestown Settlement where there are many hands on activities for them.

OH
reviews: 1
2. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

In CW, visit the Benjamin Powell house for their "Hands on History" activities for children. Toys to play with, story time in the garden, etc. You will need the CW ticket for admission to this and any of the other buildings. There are often 18th century games to play on the palace green.

Check the website for lots of information and the calendar of programs for your specific days.

www.history.org/

gettysburg,pa
3. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

Is there any place online to get discount williamsburg tickets or coupons for attractions? Where I live we have a website called halfprice717.com and they sell tickets for restaurants, amusements, etc for half price. Is there anything like that for Williamsburg? Thanks!

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
4. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

If you visit the Colonial Williamsburg website, you'll find online only discounts for the CW multi-day ticket (kids under six are free---yay!) as well as the CW/Busch Gardens/Water Country Bounce Pass (under six free with purchase of an adult pass).

Also, you might want to look into purchasing an Entertainment Book (I've been getting emails from them a lot lately, offering 2012 books for $11). And since I'll be headed to Seattle later this summer, I've signed up for Groupon and Livingsocial offers there; you might want to do the same with the "Hampton Roads" area (which includes Williamsburg and surrounding cities).

Plus, there's the Sunny Day guide to Williamsburg (you can print coupons online): sunnydayguide.com/williamsburg/cg_free_guide…

Finally, the local city Visitor Guides usually offer attraction coupons. To order in advance:

Williamsburg Chamber of Commerce: 800-446-9244

(next city over) Newport News Visitor Center: 888-493-7386

Don't pay full price if you can help it! :-)

P.S.: The Jamestown Ferry, a commuter ferry, is FREE and can be a relaxing 20 minute diversion (just make sure you don't try it at rush hour!).

Edited: 10:11 am, May 27, 2012
gettysburg,pa
5. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

Thanks!!!!

Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 23
6. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

If you haven't bought your CW tickets yet, Groupon put a deal up this morning for $10 single day passes (adult & youths over 6yrs). Change the city to Hampton Roads to find the deal.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 17
7. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

Sorry, I also posted about the groupon deal but didn't see it was already there! Hope you get the savings!!

Edited: 11:21 am, June 04, 2012
8. Re: Williamsburg, late July, small children, on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 22, 2013