We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 1
Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

I'm looking for a beach getaway and thought VA Beach might be good because I might be able to head up to DC for a day or two as well. Is VA Beach safe? Is it fun for singles or more family friendly? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Altoona...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Virginia Beach is very family friendly, but that is also one of the things that makes it feel safe, as far as beach cities go at least. Lots of clubs in the area, but what kind of activities do you find fun? What do you like to do at the beach? The resort area is well patrolled by VB's finest, and we've never seen anything that made us feel unsafe in the boardwalk area.

Des Moines, Iowa
2. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

I am really just looking to relax! I would like to parasail, read on the beach, and eat some seafood! I might go out to the clubs one night, but I'm in my 30's and don't want to go where the college kids hang out if possible. I've already been to FL a billion times and am just looking for something a little different. The proximity to DC has me wondering if I want to do a couple days on the beach and then up to the city to see the sights there too.

Altoona...
3. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Based on your likes, I think VB will be right up your alley. the trip into DC can be a little daunting, but is doable if you plan around rush hours. 95 South of DC can be very busy, and slow at times LOL. You would be better to spend a day or two in DC. You are also close to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor Area. Fells Point in Baltimore is a very eclectic area

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 135
4. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

If you want to go out and be around a good range of people in their 30's, head to Catch 31, Tautog's or Pacifica on the resort strip, or Chic's or The Back Deck in the Shore Drive area . The Shore Drive area is about 15 minutes North of the resort strip and is my favorite area to eat in and go out. Good restaurants, and bars situated on the back bay. Great places like Chick's / The Marlin Club, The Back Deck, Surf Rider, Dockside, Bubba's etc.

Des Moines, Iowa
5. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Thanks so much - I will definitely check out the Shore Drive area. And Catch 31 sounds like it will definitely meet my wine and seafood craving. :) Now, I just have to decide between June or August!

Richmond
reviews: 28
6. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Based on what you've mentioned, I think you will be happy. June and August are both good. Water will be much warmer in August though.

Altoona...
7. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

August will be warmer, but the crowds are lighter in June. We usually visit the first full week in June, the water is generally OK but can be a little chilly- never enough so to keep us out of it tho LOL

Des Moines, Iowa
8. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Thanks! August it is! Can't wait to try the stand up paddle boarding and parasailing! Any other fun activities I'm missing? I saw there is horseback riding as well. Looking forward to seafood, relaxation and fun! :)

Altoona...
9. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

The horseback riding actually on the beach is only in the off season, during the summer I believe they do trail rides off the beach.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 35
10. Re: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?

Excellent responses from the posts I've read. As a single female who actually Lives here I can 100% agree with these comments.

Some additional thoughts:

The high school/college crowd tends to gravitate between 10th-22nd Streets.

Trouble is where you will find it. You should be fine if you stay within the oceanfront and Shore Drive destinations.

Whatever you do, do Not ride your bike along Shore Drive. Yes, there is a bike lane but people throw their glass bottles and other trash there and bikers then use the adjacent traffic lane to ride. This can be a fatal mistake. A reduced speed limit does not alter that fact.

For more Beach activities contact the Virginia Beach Visitor Information Center. The last time I called, a Real person [instead of a voice prompt] answered the phone and worked with me directly. They will answer your questions + send you specific information tailored to your needs.

The DC trip is doable if you allow at least 3 days for the trip. Not sure what your interests are in this area. Best to do some homework before embarking on that journey.

Be prepared for heavy I-95 traffic beginning in Fredericksburg.

Have a good DC map too.

Safe travels :)

Reply to: Is VA Beach a good destination for a Single Female?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted