We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Help!

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg...
Day Trip Help!

Looking to plan a day trip and will be my first time visiting. I need suggestions for the best place to park for the day, what to do with kids (under age 9), good place for dinner. Thank you!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 44
1. Re: Day Trip Help!

There is plenty of public parking, and the hourly/daily rate is reasonable. Here is a link where you can see a map showing where to park and entry points to the beach: visitvirginiabeach.com/visitors/…

There is a nice little playground at 31st St if the beach is not enough for your kids.

As for dinner, keep in mind there is no bath house for cleaning up. There are numerous spigots up and down the boardwalk for rinsing off feet, and a few have taller spigots for a full body rinse, but that's it. What kind of restaurant are you looking for?

Fredericksburg...
2. Re: Day Trip Help!

Thanks for your help! Pretty doubtful we'd be able to stay and play at the beach for very long then.

I should have been more specific about dinner ideas, sorry about that. Looking for a good pizza place for the kids and seafood resturants.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Day Trip Help!

When is your trip planned? Have you already taken it? I'm a local and I live at the oceanfront so I'd be glad to help! :)

-meghan

Ruckersville...
reviews: 63
4. Re: Day Trip Help!

Drive about 30 minuts south of Virginia Beacj tp Sandbridge VA. and visit Little Island Park. Operatecd by the Va Beach Dept of Recreation and Parks, it offers two bathhouses, picnic shelters, playground, lifeguards, fishing pier and snackbar, and paved parking for less than $10.00 per day ( may be less than that)

Altoona...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Day Trip Help!

I'll second little Island and Sandbridge in general. The bathhouses make it a great place for a day trip, and convenient to downtown. For Pizza - Sandbridge Island Restaurant, right at the end of Sandbridge road-our favorite Pizza in the area. Their seafood is pretty good. Also Lago-Mar further up Sandbridge road. Margie and Rays on Sandbridge Road gets good reviews for their seafood, but we were disappointed with it when we ate there. Closer to Little Island is Baja, food was good, but we never had seafood there. On the way into Sandbridge you'll pass Red MIll Commons Shopping area where you will find Flip Flops Grill which was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but I don't think it really fits any of those categories LOL. On General Booth Blvd Between The VB resort area and Sandbridge are the Virginia Aquarium, the Water Park, and Motor World go kart park. I've found most days, the trip from Sandbridge to the resort area is closer to 20 minutes, but on busy weekends it could be 30 - 40 easily. The beaches on Sandbridge are wide, flat and not as crowded as the resort beaches, with dunes and beach houses instead of a boardwalk, but it is a beautiful quieter area for families. There are a couple of souvenir shops in town if you want to avoid the Atlantic Avenue crowds.

Fredericksburg...
6. Re: Day Trip Help!

Thank you all! We actually took a day trip a couple weeks ago and it was great. We spent majority of the day at the beach (near 30th street) and had dinner at King of the Sea which was decent. We hit some stores nearby before going home. I will keep your ideas for the next time we plan a trip. Sandbridge sounds great, we'll have to check it out! :)

7. Re: Day Trip Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014