We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Height of Surf?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Height of Surf?

I know the surf will be influenced greatly from day to day by local weather or possible storms out at sea, but is there generally a time of day when the surf is higher or lower? Maybe some relationship with the tides? We'll be there in July at the Hampton Inn Oceanfront North with our handicapped daughter, who loves the water, and I'm just checking if there are times of day that would be more likely to have calmer surf.

I realize nothing is guaranteed, and we will have to make our judgements based on what we see on the beach each day, but if there are any trends to follow, that might help us to plan our week.

Level Contributor
310 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Height of Surf?

The height of the surf is definitely more related to wind and weather than the tides. The nice thing about VB is you can travel a few miles north and be on the beaches of the Chesapeake Bay at First Landing State Park or the Chix Beach area, which are generally much lighter surf than the Atlantic beaches. Early morning is often gentler due to less temperature difference and lighter winds, but not something you can really count on.

Level Contributor
285 posts
2. Re: Height of Surf?

Once you get closer to your arrival, you might want to check out www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Virginia-Beach

They have daily and six day forecasts.

Edited: 2:55 pm, November 17, 2012
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
159 reviews
3. Re: Height of Surf?

Like the above poster stated, you can travel about 10 minutes north to get to the calm, Chesapeake Bay beaches... In my opinion these are VERY calm compared to the ocean beach.

The ocean beach can be calm, to very rough depending on the wind and weather....

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Height of Surf?

Thanks all. We have been to Virginia Beach twice before with our daughter, and had some times where the surf was fine for her and some where it was too high. We have never gone to beaches off the boardwalk, but since the Chesapeake Bay beaches are so close we will keep that in mind for high surf days.

5. Re: Height of Surf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 26, 2013