We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Schaumburg, Illinois
reviews: 22
Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

We have visited Virginia Beach twice before, and I don't recall there being any snorkeling in the area, but we weren't really looking for it at the time. We will be there in July next year, staying on the northern part of the boardwalk. We are looking for places you can snorkel from a beach entry, verses a snorkel trip out on a boat, as my wife gets unnerved snorkeling out in the open ocean. Don't mind if we have to drive away from the boardwalk area a little.

If there's nothing that fits this description that's OK, we're coming either way! Just curious if there are any opportunities.

Edited: 7:24 am, November 04, 2012
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 52
1. Re: Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

Well you can snorkle but you really won't see much as compared to the blue waters of the Caribbean or Hawaii.

You will though have a great vacation!

Schaumburg, Illinois
reviews: 22
2. Re: Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

Yes, I guess I should have been more specific. I mean, you can snorkel in your swimming pool if you want, but the scenery isn't all that inspiring.. I suspected that might be the case, that there's not much to see, but wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking an opportunity.

Thanks for the reply. We love the beach, and are really looking forward to what we are sure will be a great time.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 135
3. Re: Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

The water is not clear enough to make it worthwhile from any beach entry...

In general, Snorkeling is only good when there is something like a reef that attracts fish to a specific area, and when the water is clear enough.

I do a lot of spearfishing in Va Beach off the Bay Bridge Tunnel, and use either dive gear or snorkel gear. Obviously I see a good amount of fish- mostly Spades, but its definitely "open water" and I wouldn't recommend it for casual snorkeling...

4. Re: Is there snorkeling in Virginia Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 20, 2013