We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarks Summit...
reviews: 32
Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

We have been to OBX the past three summers. I was thinking of booking a house Sandbridge Beach this upcoming summer. It looks like it will cut our travel by 90 miles, and the last 90 miles to Corolla have been painful the past few years. Would love some feedback to some simple questions.

1.What is traffic like getting to Sandbridge on a Sat. summer morning ? Is it as insane as getting over the bridge to OBX ?

2.I have stayed in Corolla the past few years and we normally left our beach gear on the beach with no fear of it disappearing overnight. Is this something that people typically do at Sandbridge?

3. Anyone know what the beach is like near Whiting Lane or SeaScape Road ?

4. What else should we know to make our decision ? Thanks

Altoona...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

1) Traffic is nowhere near as bad as in the area of the WMB. Since it sounds like you are coming from the north then I would recommend you follow along the route you are probably using to get to OBX and come back in on 66/264 to avoid the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, on 64 which can be a backup issue. Here is the vadot map virginiadot.org/travel/resources/HR_MMMBT_Al…

We go one step further and avoid I-64 all together and use 460 off of 295. Have never encountered any major issues on this route other than some city level traffic slowdowns. You can avoid even going into the resort area of VB to get to Sandbridge. We use the First Colonial Road ( Oceana Blvd ) Exit off of 64 to get to General Booth Blvd. Cuts out the resort area stop and go.

2) Not sure about leaving beach gear over night, on Sandbridge. have never seen anyone do it, and my guess would be it is not permitted. They do patrol the beach and remove and dispose of stuff in general tho.

3) The beach is pretty consistent along the whole area, further south seems to be a bit gentl;er slope in the water, but we've never encountered anything like a drop off anywhere. Wave action is also pretty consistent and as anywhere else dependent on the weather.

4) We did two years in the OBX on Hatteras Island and really like the Sandbridge area more. Never been in Corolla tho, but Sandbridge has the quiet of the banks with the resort area only 20 - 30 minutes away. Red Mill Commons right up the road a few minutes has about anything you would need for shopping, and the Sandbridge market right in Sandbridge has most basics if you just need something quickly. We've pretty much decided we won't be going back to OBX ;)

Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 58
2. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Totally agree with the above poster, so I'll just say "ditto"!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Ditto:)

Compared with Corolla it won't be too different. It would be different compared with, say, Kill Devil Hills. There's the one main street, even more residentail than Corolla but that's okay because commercial activity and boardwalk activity is not far as Bud Y says.

Sandbridge is Va's outer banks. I guess you see that below Sandbridge is Carova and then Corolla. Not too different along there. Do realize that you can't cross between Va and NC along the outer banks...it's fenced and protected.

Clarks Summit...
4. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Thanks Everyone for your feedback especially Bud Y.

We will be travelling from North Eastern Pa down the good ole PATurnpike.

I have been to Virginia Beach numerous times and love everything it has to offer. I just could not find very much info on Sandbridge.

I think it will be a nice option for us to try. Just have to convince the other 2 families we vacation with.

Altoona...
5. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Do you come down the eastern shore on 13 across the CBBT or come back west to I81 to head south?

Clarks Summit...
6. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

We normally come down coastal 13 to CBBT. I do not have very good luck going anywhere near I95. It seems to turn into a parking lot anytime I set foot on it.

Altoona...
7. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

Yeah, I know what you mean, from our end we run around a lot of the DC junk down 81 to 64 - VA17 and get back on 95 at Fredricksburg. That is PLENTY of time on 95 in my book!! LOL. I think you will enjoy Sandbridge, please let us know how it goes!

8. Re: Sandbridge Beach or OBX for 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 07, 2013