We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Mills...
reviews: 33
Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

My daughter will be playing hockey at the training facility in VA beach for a week in late June and I need to choose a hotel from the ones listed below. Our priorities are: Comfortable beds, clean, ocean front, walking distance to restaurants, not overly noisy at night (but still centrally located), decent continental breakfast, good AC and showers. Prices vary greatly, as listed, so also looking for value for our $$:

Comfort Inn at the Beach ($192)

Comfort Inn & Suites ($199)

Days Inn Oceanfront ($143)

Holiday Inn Oceanside ($209)

Ocean Front Inn (($169)

Thanks for your help! So hard to pick a beach hotel from far away because website pictures rarely match the reality, and reviews on TA are always a very mixed bag.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

As far as reviews, look particularly at ones where the reviewer has written several reviews and get a feel for what they are doing. Nationally, some bad ones are deserved...some are, sad to say, disgruntled employees.Among those reviews take the good and bad and see if they match what you like or don't like.

Most of the hotels you list have indoor pools and breakfast of some sort. There is dining nearby. The Wave bus takes you easily up and down Atlantic for anything you want. In fact two additional routes take you shopping and to museums.

I think your daughter will be SW of the Boardwalk area. All your hotels are convenient to heading east around 21st (Virginia Beach Expressway) and around 17th (Virginia Beach Blvd) in order to access roads heading south.

Oceanfront Inn was updated by about May 2011. And Holiday Inn Oceanside was just fully renovated Spring 2012.

Days Inn Oceanfront was the previous Ocean Holiday till....Spring 2009 I believe. So a fairly recent redo.

Comfort Inn at the Beach was redone from its former life as Station One, also in '09.

Comfort inn and Suites was redone within the last few years as well.

Perhaps an event would be a deciding factor. The weekend of June 22-24 will be Sandstock, a tribute to Rock and Roll of the 70s, 80sand 90s with tribute bands..honoring Rod Stewart, The Doors, etc. Check here for the list and performance area:

beachstreetusa.com/events/…2526Roll

"Beach Street" performers appear at night on Atlantic Ave from 17th to about 21st. They are auditioned and scheduled. You'll see musicians, magicians, stilt walkers, cheerleaders, dancers, singers, etc. Check out who is there during your stay:

www.beachstreetusa.com/calendar/2012-06

There are also periodic stages along the boardwalk area where there are free performances during the summer.

Glen Mills...
reviews: 33
2. Re: Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

Thank you so much for your very helpful insights, explorer3. The Sandstock timing has me a bit worried, since my daughter will be in town primarily to play field hockey. I suspect she will have very early games and will need to get a good night's sleep, and that may be problematic if we stay in the boardwalk area. I'm now contemplating choosing something north or south of the heart of the boards, and am even thinking about going out to the Virginia Beach Town Center area instead (better sleep, perhaps, but definitely less ambience for a bored mom while her daughter is playing hockey!). I like Westins and the VBTC Westin gets generally good reviews and is markedly cheaper than the hotels on the boardwalk ($165 a night). At least we'd be well rested and well fed!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

As far as oceanfront events go, they will be on the stages noted in the link and not even heard inside hotels. Curfew for those under 18 is 11 unless with a parent. Many times I look out at the boardwalk and it's quiet earlier than that.

As far as the so-called Beach Street performance area, we have never heard them inside our hotels in oceanfront rooms. They are not highly amped or it would be a mad house battle of the performers.

Since you'd be coming and going every day you may find a hotel closer would be more convenient. I don't think I'd change because of noise though. There are so many many hotels and such a limited number of stages for the performers so you would find one that suits. It's a family oriented area...even with the famous no-cussing signs...so it's not raucous around these family events.

Central VA
reviews: 71
4. Re: Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

I agree about the noise - never had any noise problems on the boardwalk. But getting in and out of most beach hotel parking lots can be a hassle, so if I needed to spend significant time away from the beach front on a regular basis, I would not stay at the beach.

5. Re: Help choosing one of these 5 hotels for June tournament

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, June 21, 2013