We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

Which Staunton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 75
nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

Good afternoon, we will be in Staunton this weekend.

We are generally a little foodie-ish but are trying to watch the budget for this trip. We prefer not to eat at chains such as Applebees, Friday's, etc.

What are some nicer casual dining options with one or two vegetarian selections on the menu?

Cafe/bistro sandwiches are okay for lunch and we may have dinner at the hotel one evening (Stonewall Jackson) but for our other meals we are seeking ideas.

For one of the meals we will be venturing over to Crozet Pizza- Food Network rated one of their pizzas as the best in Va and we have made the trip down from DC twice.

Thanks Staunton!

5 replies to this topic
reviews: 2
1. Re: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

For lunch grab a sandwich or wrap at Cranberrys. Their choices are many including veggie and the food excellent. They also have a box lunch to go that includes a cookie.

You might try Taste of India for lunch or dinner. I haven't been in since they moved but the food was good at their old location.

Mill St Grill is an old stand-by where a lot of we locals like to eat but I'm not sure what they have to offer for the vegetarian. I'm sure their menu is posted online.

Now for pizza. If you've had Crozet Pizza before and feel the need to drive all the way there to have it then I'm sure I won't sway you but its not a personal fav honestly. Within walking distance of the Stonewall is Shenandoah Pizza. The owner Johnny and his staff are gems and not at all pretentious like CP. You don't need to reserve a carryout pizza there and its excellent stuff. They'll have a small live band in the evening.

Every place I named is downtown and an easy stroll from/ to the Stonewall.

Enjoy your stay this weekend the weather looks like it'll be perfect!

2. Re: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:40 pm, June 14, 2012

Washington DC...
3. Re: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

Thanks for the dining tips! I'm going to make a note about your suggestions.

Crozet Pizza is kind of our thing. When my bf and I were new last summer I saw the Food Network article rating the best pizzas in the country so we drove there from DC one afternoon, had the pizza that won and drove home. We have been once or twice since then on our VIrginia weekend getaways- if we are down that way I think we will always try to stop in. There may be closer pizza in Staunton but being so close to "our place" kind of lends itself to going there.

reviews: 2
4. Re: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

I understand. CP def has a faithful following. If you're ever in Crozet and looking for "foodie" food you might try 3Notch'd Grill just up the street within walking distance of CP. You might also like a tour and tasting at Starr Hill Brewery about a quarter mile down the same road on the right. They're open till 5 but I suggest getting there by 4.

Shenandoah Pizza does sell carryout by the slice if you want to give it a try or if you just want to listen to some good local music and have a beer or cider. Their beer and cider menu is extensive to say the least.

Edited: 2:13 pm, June 14, 2012
Washington DC...
5. Re: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?

You've peaked my interest with a cider menu. We will probably stop by there one of the evenings we're in town to try a few of them. Thanks so much for the tip!

Reply to: nicer/casual dining with vegetarian options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted