We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old cemeteries near Staunton

Which Staunton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 71
old cemeteries near Staunton

Two of our hobbies are gravestone rubbings on paper with charcoal, and photographing old iron fences.

Are there any old cemeteries near Staunton? We are not looking for that big one, instead something small and old, maybe at an old church or forgotten family plot along the road.

We can drive for a bit outside of Staunton as the ones we like are usually located along country roads.

If it is outside of Staunton, we prefer north as we'll be heading back to DC, or along the road to Crozet.

Thanks very much!

4 replies to this topic
reviews: 2
1. Re: old cemeteries near Staunton

www.visitstaunton.com

In historic section there you'll find Thornrose Cemetery and Trinity Church.

There is also an old church and cemetery in nearby Fishersville Va. with large old grounds.

http://www.tinklingspring.org/

There are dozens of old churches in the area but I don't know how open they are to the public.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 36
2. Re: old cemeteries near Staunton

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi…

Hi OCcat!

Above is a link to a very cool old Revolutionary war cemetery. Unfortunately it is maybe 25 minutes south of Staunton...middle of nowhere but it's a scenic drive. It is in decent shape...we were there last summer. As a kid we had many picnics there (strange family I suppose). You can walk on the fence around it. If the link doesn't work, just google Old Providence cemetery Spottswood VA.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
3. Re: old cemeteries near Staunton

I would suggest you use the website Find-a-Grave where you can search for cemeteries in certain counties. When you find a candidate, you can see how many are buried there and usually there are photos of some of the headstones, so you can sit in the comfort of your own home and figure out if the particular cemetery has what you are looking for.

I volunteer for FaG going out and documenting headstones for family members and those doing genealogy. It is a great website.

Washington DC...
reviews: 71
4. Re: old cemeteries near Staunton

Thanks so much for the tip. Being able to peruse stones, fences and atmosphere before we drive out there is going to be a great resource for many of our trips from now on!

Reply to: old cemeteries near Staunton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted