We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

Which Staunton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 63
roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

We are planning to spend the weekend in Staunton soon. We will be traveling from Alexandria on a Friday afternoon and leaving on a Sunday.

I am aware of the American Celebration on Parade float museum at Shenandoah Caverns. Are there other things- antique malls, wineries, or other quirky/kitch stops we can make along the way?

It is supposedly about a three hour drive and we'd like to stretch it out into an adventure of possible.

Also, we are looking for interesting dining along the way. We are hoping for some kind of cafe that has a vegetarian selection aside from Subway.

We are a 30/40's couple interested in food/wine, vintage/antiques, independent films, art galleries and independent coffee shops. I'm going to research Staunton, right now just looking for our road trip adventure.

Thanks so much!

Thanks!

Springfield, VA
reviews: 114
1. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

Tour the Route 11 Potato Chip factory in Mount Jackson.

Visit Foamhenge in Natural Bridge. Visit the Natural Bridge, for that matter.

reviews: 2
2. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

I grew up in Alexandria and now live in Staunton so when I go up there my drive is matter of fact. (81 to 66) Which route were you considering?

Washington DC...
3. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

We will be taking 66 to 81 unless Virginia has suddenly come up with an amazing side trip that will take us out of the way.

I've done Natural Bridge and will definitely not be stopping again- just a big rock lol, but we might consider the Safari Park.

I'll have to call Route 11- they don't cook every day of the week. Thanks for the reminder!

Athens, Georgia
reviews: 76
4. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

You could try Grand Caverns in Weyers Cave.

There are lots of fun antique shops on Route 11 between Harrisonburg and Staunton. Cute towns that way too like Mt. Crawford.

Go to the Dayton Farmer's Market, just south of Harrisonburg. It's a great indoor Mennonite Market with really good treats!

New Market Battlefield

Old Valley Pike Country Store in New Market on Rt. 11

Belle Grove Plantation in Middleton, VA

Charlottesville...
reviews: 30
5. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

For a great vineyard, I suggest Veritas. Beautiful drive IMO. Bring a picnic lunch, buy a bottle of wine and enjoy! http://www.veritaswines.com/visit.htm

Sunspots is a unique place to shop or browse in downtown Staunton http://www.sunspots.com/

Several coffee shops and unique restaurants downtown. Oh, if you have time, catch a show at http://www.americanshakespearecenter.com/

(I hope these links work)

Have fun!

Washington DC...
6. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

Thanks for the ideas.

We just booked at the Stonewall Jackson-I got an excellent rate through Kayak.com ($116/night) for a 21 day advance booking that I could not find anywhere else.

I think aside from browsing the downtown area of town, finding a coffee shop early and a wine bar later in the day, we are going to Verona to The Factory which is supposed to be the east coast's largest antique mall, then sometime before we leave we're going to Crozet Pizza (Food Network rated their white pizza with mushrooms as the best pizza in VA).

7. Re: roadside attractions between Alexandria and Staunton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, yesterday