We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staunton via Amtrak in February

Which Staunton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buckhannon, WV
reviews: 11
Staunton via Amtrak in February

Husband and I are planning a quick weekend visit in Staunton this Feb - Amtrak from Charleston arrives Fri around 1:30, departs 3:00 pm Sunday.

Looks like there are many great restaurants with local food and/or music to choose from on Tripadvisor - so hoping to narrow our choices - suggestions are appreciated!

Any that might serve bloody mary's during brunch?

Vegetarian best bets?

Jazz venue?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
1. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

We went to Staunton about 18 months ago to see a play at the Blackfriar Theatre (which I highly recommend). We had lunch at the Mill Street Grill and enjoyed it very much. Here's my review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g58210-d5192…

reviews: 2
2. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

I'll second Mill Street. It is where the locals go for good food and a great atmosphere and its a hop, skip and a jump from the train "station".

Do keep in mind the Staunton station is not staffed.

Too bad you'll be here next month and not in the summer when we have Jazz in the Park. There are lots of great bands and a good time is had by all. Beyond that, I have no recommendations. The Clocktower used to have live music but I haven't been recently so I really don't know their status.

United States
reviews: 7
3. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

There is live music all around Downtown Staunton! There are 12 - 15 restaurants, each with a different flavor and atmosphere and many of them offer entertainment some nights during the week. Downtown Staunton is a lively place! There's the Blackfriars' Playhouse too (Shakespeare theater) and there are even two movie theaters downtown. There are also a lot of interesting shops and a bunch of art galleries. The Amtrak station IS downtown. So you can literally walk to all the restaurants and shops. Where to stay? Stay at The Staunton Choral Gardens B&B which is only 5 blocks from the station. You can hop on the free trolley to get there, walk, or the owners will pick you up. ENJOY your trip to Staunton! It's a worthwhile trip.

4. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

"The Staunton Choral Gardens B&B which is only 5 blocks from the station. You can hop on the free trolley to get there, walk, or the owners will pick you up."

I'm sure the owners of this inn understand there can be legal issues with transporting clientele. I would hope they are fully bonded and insured for this.

5. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, July 01, 2011
Edited: 7:05 am, July 01, 2011

6. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

Staunton Choral Gardens one of your contracts too axel?

7. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

Perhaps you can come up from Miss. and start a local business.

If you need more links to steal let me know. I have tons

Edited: 8:38 pm, June 29, 2011
8. Re: Staunton via Amtrak in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, July 01, 2011

Reply to: Staunton via Amtrak in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted