We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible move...

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coral Gables...
reviews: 106
Possible move...

Hello. We currently live in Miami, Fl and my husband's company might be moving us to Roanoke. Please help! Tell me there are things to do, good restaurants, and nice places to live.

11 replies to this topic
reviews: 54
1. Re: Possible move...

That's a change in environment! Roanoke is in the mountains, there is hiking, you are close to Blue Ridge. Hotel Roanoke downtown is really nice. Neighbors son and his wife live there in a converted loft apartment downtown and like it a lot. Colleges in area, cultural and artistic events, about an hour from Smith Mountain Lake where you can rent boats, go to state park, about five hour drive to coast. Yes, there is civilization in roanoke!

Brookneal, Virginia
reviews: 57
2. Re: Possible move...

OF course much of the information you are asking for is a matter of opinion. :)

I'd rather be shot than live in the city of Roanoke (or any city) but I am not a city girl, I prefer the country.

Roanoke has a thriving arts community, lots of community gardens in the city.

There's plenty of suburban and rural living choices as well.

The mountains are beautiful, there's a large emphasis on healthy lifestyle, good hospitals.

google and wikipedia are your friends...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke,_Virginia

http://www.roanokeva.gov/WebMgmt/ywbase61b.nsf/DocName/$home

Fairfax, Virginia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Possible move...

Check out the city data forum for that area: www.city-data.com

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 28
4. Re: Possible move...

It will definitely be a bit of culture shock moving here, but we have plenty to offer. You'll LOVE the lack of traffic and crime. Nothing compared to S. Florida. We have gorgeous mountains, lots of outdoor activities like hking, mountain biking, and kayaking, great restaurants, and a thriving arts community. What you might miss - some of the higher end shopping you can easily find in bigger cities. And I hate the winter cold, but not everyone is bothered by it. In the 17 years since I moved here, I haven't ever regretted it.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 40
5. Re: Possible move...

epodunk.com is another good website for looking up information, especially about smaller communities.

A smaller city/town like Roanoke can have a lot to offer.

Edited: 9:20 am, October 12, 2013
Maryland
reviews: 6
6. Re: Possible move...

Here is the exact link to the Roanoke forum. You will find PLENTY of relocation advice, by clicking here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/roanoke-area

Edited: 12:59 pm, October 13, 2013
Virginia, MG
reviews: 34
7. Re: Possible move...

This part of Virginia is very pretty, with mountains and valleys. . Downtown Roanoke has a wide array of restaurants, from high end to moderately priced. There is local theatre, opera, symphony, and a variety of other cultural events. Larger museums include a transportation museum (Roanoke was once a railroad hub), a science Museum, and an art museum, as well as other smaller museums. Roanoke County is the suburban extension of Roanoke city. It will be a culture shock to move here from Miami, no doubt. Shopping here is abysmal. I don't know what your age is, but to answer your two questions, there are really great restaurants. There are definitely great places to live. South Roanoke is a lovely, high end area in Roanoke City, not far from downtown and the regional hospital. Southwest County is another great area with some beautiful subdivisions, many with views of the Roanoke Valley. Schools are good here and there is a regional Governor's school . Smith Mountain Lake is only 45 min to an hour away. The quality of live here is outstanding and you will experience all four seasons. A great place to raise children and I think a great place to retire as well.

Coral Gables...
8. Re: Possible move...

Thank you all so much for the replies, and peace of mind. It is much appreciated!! We are both pretty big foodies, so good food/restaurants are very high on our list, shopping, not as much. We are both in our early 30's and expecting our first child in April. My husband will be working for the hospital and I currently do background investigations for the government, but will most likely fall back on my 10 years teaching experience in both the elementary and college classroom. I don't have a job lined up yet, but hope to get back into the classroom by January 2014. I have heard downtown is the place to live, so we are looking into that. Again, thank you for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Edited: 5:05 pm, October 14, 2013
Coral Gables...
9. Re: Possible move...

Oh, and mainly I only shop at TARGET or TJMAXX, so if you have those, I will be OKAY!

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 28
10. Re: Possible move...

We've got both Target and TJMaxx so you are good!

We've got wonderful restaurants for someone into food. Also, downtown has the farmer's market for fresh, local veggies in season. If you like the urban living thing, there are quite a few people living downtown now, although nowhere near as many as in the bigger cities. Also check out Raleigh Court/Grandin area and South Roanoke. Both would be convenient to the hospital (I'm assuming you are talking about Carilion and not Lewis Gale in Salem.) I like the sort of Bohemian vibe of the Grandin area and it has some of my favorite restaurants and shops. Neat older homes and decent schools. South Roanoke is a bit more "grand' and upscale. More suburban spots to check out would be the Troutville/Daleville area and the Cave Spring area.

Reply to: Possible move...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted