We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roanoke for Thanksgiving

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Delaware
reviews: 17
Roanoke for Thanksgiving

I am thinking about going to Roanoke VA over the Thanksgiving weekend.Can anyone advise of the weather conditions that time of year? Thanks!!!

Manassas, Virginia
reviews: 19
1. Re: Roanoke for Thanksgiving

Over the past 4 years, my daughter went to VA Tech (Blacksburg) so my wife and I visited nearby Roanoke, Virginia, may times. Usually, the weather was bright and sonny, but one can never be 100% sure. The wonderful thing about Roanoke is that Amtrak (www.amtrak.com) has daily direct service along the NE Corridor from New York (daily) and Boston (Mon - Fri) to Lynchburg, with integrated bus service to Roanoke. Now one can make a single reservation for the train/bus combination at Amtrak's website.

Roanoke is a great destination for a Train Holiday: Hotel Roanoke (1882, built by Norfolk & Western), Virginia Museum of Transportation (largest steam engines ever built right in Roanoke); and O Winston Link Museum (steam era portrait museum, lots of train photos). Follow this link for details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUG5h-fdO3o

Note: .Amtrak recently (9/30) announced its Google-engine driven, killer application accessible via computer and smartphone: "Track a Train". Accessible in 15 secs, the software allows anyone to check train status, location, speed, direction, station origin, and station destination. Go to www.amtrak.com, click on "Track A Train", type Train Number and click. This is big!

Edited: 10:44 am, October 08, 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 38
2. Re: Roanoke for Thanksgiving

Roanoke can have varied weather and temps in November but generally, Thanksgiving should be a nice time of year for a visit. My family has come to visit at Thanksgiving the last two years and on both of those occasions, we have enjoyed sitting on a dock on the small lake in my neighborhood, enjoying the fall weather while the turkey cooked in the oven. We wore light fleece or polyester jackets, and even took those off in the warm sun and went canoeing. You might check out this website ( a local TV station weather site), and scroll down to look at "Search Past Weather Data" to get a look at typical weather over the last ten years: wdbj7.com/weather/…index.html

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 38
3. Re: Roanoke for Thanksgiving

Just passing along a bit of info for Thanksgiving. Each year Roanoke has a 5K race, the Drumstick Dash, on Thanksgiving morning. This is a big event and lots of fun for all ages. Monies raised benefit the Rescue Mission. You might check this out if you are interested in this sort of thing. https://drumstickdash.net/

4. Re: Roanoke for Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 11, 2014