We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plover WI
1 post
Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

Will be renting car in Roanoke to drive to Martinsville and need to know if driving there on HWY 220 is a white knuckle experience from Roanoke over the mountain heading east..

Also, does Roanoke have ice storms in the winter.

Thanks

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

Oh heavens no -- that's an easy ride.

Throughout VA we get ice storms, but not routinely and not every year. Usually the roads ice over when we get snow, but typically VDOT gets main roads open pretty quickly.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
456 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

I agree with Wendymath...you shouldn't have any troubles on 220. It's a pretty easy ride, but I would definitely keep up to date with the weather before you travel. I live about an hour east of Roanoke and our area of VA does get ice and snow every winter. It may not be close to what you are used to WI, but it's not uncommon to have a storm bringing in several inches of snow. VDOT does do a pretty good job clearing the roads, and because 220 is a well traveled road it would be one of the first to be cleared in such case. Use www.virginiadot.org to find useful information about road conditions and such to help you on your trip!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

I third all that. And ice is the dangerous precipitative activity. There is often black ice. I learned to drive in the snow belt. Probably because of the short periods central va. gets snow and ice there are still people inexperienced at riving in it. February is usually the worst month. But...there are some winters when there's been only a dusting of snow...litterally, not the 1 foot dusting of the snow belt but just a sprinkle of white....and not much of a need for winter coats. So, as a poster said, watch the weather. And, as I'm sure you do in WI, bring 'stuck in snow' emergency stuff just in case.

4. Re: Driving from Roanoke to Martinsville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, August 13, 2009