We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway instead of main highway in Roanoke Area?

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LOL, FL
reviews: 63
Blue Ridge Parkway instead of main highway in Roanoke Area?

I intend to drive from NJ to Nashville and was going to stop in Roanoke overnight. Then I saw something about the Blue Ridge Parkway and wonder if this would be a better way to get to Nashville? I tried reading about this, but am very confused. Where would I enter the Parkway and where would I exit to get to final Nashville destination?

Would taking this Parkway add considerably more time to my trip? It looks so beautiful!

Thanks so much.

Barbara

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway instead of main highway in Roanoke Area?

The BRP goes from Afton VA (near Waynesboro) to Cherokee NC, and does not go into Tennessee at all. It will definitely add a lot of time to your trip, but it is a beautiful drive. Whether it is a "better way"is relative: if you want to get to Nashville in one day, I would go I-81 to I-40. With pit stops that will take at least 7 hours from Roanoke. If you have a couple of days to get from Roanoke to Nashville, go down the Parkway to Asheville on the first day, which will be an all day drive (at least 8 hours, probably much longer with stops to admire views etc), then I-40 to Nashville on the 2nd day, which will take about 5 hours.

2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway instead of main highway in Roanoke Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, July 15, 2014