We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation in Roanoke VA

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 55
Accomodation in Roanoke VA

What's on in Roanoke on Friday May 17th 2013? I can't seem to find a room for the night. We are Aussies driving from Asheville that day. Also, does the drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Roanoke allow enough time for sightseeing stops? Thanks.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
1. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

The BRP is slow going. I would guess that's a good 8+ hour drive via that route. That weekend is graduation weekend for several colleges in that area, so I suggest a destination closer to Asheville. You'll be very lucky to find any room whatsoever near Roanoke or Christiansburg.

Consider stopping further south, maybe Mt Airy NC, or Wytheville VA.

Edited: 2:04 pm, January 25, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 55
2. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

Thanks for the response and advice, much appreciated.

roanoke, va
reviews: 35
3. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

I found several options in Roanoke for that night via kayak.com.

Roanoke
reviews: 82
4. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

I have made the drive on the BR Parkway from Roanoke to Asheville. It is beautiful but it will double your drive time. I think it is well worth the time since the views are spectacular. You may want to look at staying at a place right off the parkway. The town of Floyd VA is a really cute little town off the parkway. One stop light. It is a haven for artists, hippies, farmers and regular folk. The have a county store that features blue grass and clogging on Friday nights. They roll all of the display cabinets agains the walls and have a party. You have to get tickets to attend. It is nationally known. Has been written up in many publications including National Geographic. Floyd Country Store.com. Floyd has several bed and breakfast and a hotel in the center of town. This is a small town and you can walk every where. The other idea is Primland at meadows of Dan. Not too far off the parkway. I have stayed here and it is expensive but a wonderful place. Great hiking, food rooms, spa etc.Check Primland out on the web. Any of these places you can hop back on the parkway and continue into Roanoke. If you come to Roanoke via BR pkwy, stop at the Mill Mountain Star and take in the view of the entire Roanoke Valley. If you travel here and want food suggestions, let me know. I hope you enjoy your trip

Brookneal, Virginia
reviews: 61
5. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

I hate to say this but you may not find any hotel rooms in this area at all.

You are traveling during college graduation time.

If you can find a room you had better grab it quick.

The reason that you are having difficulty obtaining a hotel room in Roanoke that weekend (May 17 - 19, 2013) is graduation at Virginia Tech.

There is no limit to the number of guests each graduate can bring- there will be probably around 9,000 graduates. There are simply not enough hotel rooms for them all.

It may be that hotel rooms up to 2 hours drive away will be taken.

Parents reserve and pay for these hotel rooms June the year before for a May graduation.

And Tech is not the only Roanoke area college graduating that weekend, nor the only one in this part of the state.

Hollins University is graduating that weekend as is UVA in Charlottesville, Lynchburg College, SweetBriar College, Mary Baldwin College, Bridgewater College.

You may want to look at Bed and Breakfasts or on vrbo.com or at the possibility of staying more than 2 hours south or 2 hours north of this area.

FYI, the weekend before is another big graduation weekend.

May 10 - 12 graduations: Liberty University, Randolph College, and some others.

While these colleges are 1.5 hours east of Roanoke, Liberty will have over 6,000 graduates and all their families and they have reserved the closest hotel rooms they can find- possibly including Roanoke.

I am sorry to be the bearer of such news but it's better to know why than to think the reason is a lack of hospitality.

You are simply traveling during a very busy hotel season in our state.

Edited: 9:02 am, February 04, 2013
North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 38
6. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

Try Fiddler's Roost Cabins - just off the blue ridge Parkway in Galax, Va (near the NC/VA border). They are showing vacancies for that date. Lovely setting.

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 11
7. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

If you have some time and extra $, look into Primland, in meadows of Dan. It's off the BRP and about an hour and 15 minutes south of Roanoke. Plan a few days, it's worth every penny.

8. Re: Accomodation in Roanoke VA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 08, 2014