We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stink Bug Problem?

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hammondsport, New...
Stink Bug Problem?

Hi, I am traveling through salem/roanoke area on Thursday & need accommodations, but have been reading about a "stink bug" problem at some area motels/hotels. could anyone advise on accuracy of this issue please?

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 28
1. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

Stink bugs aren't like bedbugs that will cause problems for you. They don't bite people. They do have an odd odor if you kill them. They are very difficult to get rid of and pretty much everyone in the area has them at their home, office, business. They've become like seeing a housefly or an ant they are so common.

The stink bugs are an introduced pest not native to our area so they have no natural predators. They seem to be more prevalent in spring and fall and the numbers I see are far less in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. A few weeks ago I was seeing tons of them (they like to congregate on my screen porch) but now that it's gotten cold I haven't seen any more. I wouldn't be concerned about them when planning a trip. If you do see one and need to "dispose" of it without the odor, grap a few tissues, pick it up, and flush it. Crusing them produces the worst odor.

Austin, Texas
2. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

Actually, if you are visiting by road, I recommend renting a car and leaving the RV at home or you will bring them home with you. I picked up thousands in my travel trailer and truck in Asheville and have been spending 4-6 hours a day trying to get rid of them for the past several weeks. I still can't get rid of them. They crawl over me at night and are everywhere from the clothes closet to under the mattress to inside the Kotex box to the edges of the frig door to inbetween packets of tea bags.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

They love heat. They seem to try to make it inside when it gets cooler. And they seem to be in certain areas at different times switching on and off. I have friends in Bedford and west, in the country on acreage and in the cities. And seems like no matter how hard people try to keep them out they get in. They don't want anything to to with people it seems. I don't know what they feed on. They like to go up high in buildings and homes to get the warmth. They are common in places but I can understand that being disconcerting to others. And, yes, try not to bring them home in your RV.

reviews: 54
4. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

Richmond area here, I see a few stink bugs once in a while but not bad at all. It must be certain areas with a lot of them. They don't bite, I just flick any off that get on my when i'm gardening. About the same length as a lightning bug but wide.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
5. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

The should be slowing down now the weather is getting cooler, seems hot weather will bring them out . But they are not a big nuisance, Must hotel take care to keep them out of your room

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 37
6. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

This question is a year old. Shouldn't it be a closed topic now?

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
7. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

Look at that. We just followed right along. You're right, teachertype22. However, it's still topical. Still this time of year and still stink bugs coming inside from Bedford (actually western Bedford County) on west.

8. Re: Stink Bug Problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 12, 2014