We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fullerton...
reviews: 16
Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

Looking for recommendation of a pretty driving route from Roanoke to Durham, NC next week, Oct 18th. I have been directed by 2 different online maps each with a different direction. One is using 40 to 29 going by Gretna and Danville. The other is using 220 toward Martinsville to 58 by Danville. Is one prettier than the other? Is one more twisting and turning, climbing around mountains? Any 'not to miss' places or places to stop and see the colors of Fall?

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 28
1. Re: Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

The 220 route to Martinsville is more mountainous and there are some nice views. It's by no means a tiny mountain road - mostly divided highway all the way.

I don't know what your schedule is and if you have time for a more leisurely drive, but if I were going for scenery and didn't mind extra time, I'd take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoke to Meadows of Dan and pick up route 58 there. It will add time and distance, though. Mabry Mill on the parkway would be a great place to stop for fall festivities, scenic photos, gift shop, and often interpreters this time of year. There's also "lovers leap" as you come down 58 from the parkway towards Martinsville for spectacular views.

You'll also find all sorts of country markets and stores all pretty much any route you go. From what I understand the apple crop was so early this year it's about gone, but pumpkins and other fall goodies should be around still.

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
2. Re: Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

I had two trips to Danville from Roanoke this past week and took both of the routes you described. The 220 to 58 route gave a better mix of broad vistas and sections of the road lined closely with trees. I definitely agree with the previous poster, though. If you have the time, take the parkway.

Fullerton...
3. Re: Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

Thank you, I appreciate the input.

Fullerton...
4. Re: Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

Thanks for you the information. We'll see how much time we have that day and make the decision then, I guess.

5. Re: Fall Colors Roanoke to Durham, NC??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 15, 2013