We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

I'm thinking about coming to Roanoke for four days and visiting Mabry Mill and Peaks of Otter. How are the leaves? Have they peaked? If not, when do you expect them to peak? Thanks.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 49
1. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

I think next week will be considered the "peak". Friends are there now and say that is the word. I hope so since we will be in Blacksburg next weekend!

Knoxville, Tennessee
2. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Thanks for your reply!

roanoke, va
reviews: 35
3. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Sorry, but leaves here are barely starting to change. Our peak is expected to be late (another 2-3 weeks) this year because of weather.

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 28
4. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Not much color yet in Roanoke. A few trees are turning, but from what I'm seeing, the colors are fairly muted this year with a lot of trees going straight from green to brown. I think the summer drought got us followed by warm October so far. Peak will probably be in about 2 more weeks if I had to guess.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Thanks for your reply! :)

Knoxville, Tennessee
6. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Has anyone been to Mabry Mill or Peaks of Otter lately? How's it looking? This time last year Mabry Mill had already lost all the leaves and Peaks of Otter was at it's peak. Thanks for your replies.

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
7. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Although I didn't go to Mabry Mill specifically, I wasn't far from it during my visit to Chateau Morrisette on Thursday, 10/13/11. Leaves were yellow and brown for the most part (not as pretty as in years past). Along Rt. 8 from the Parkway to Floyd I saw quite a bit of bright orange and red.

Roanoke, Virginia
8. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Leaves are starting to turn more in the Roanoke area. Some good spots of color but also still lots of green. So far, it's not a spectacular color year. Very muted colors on most trees. We had some bad wind yesterday and many leaves have fallen already, though. I noticed a big difference in how "bare" the trees looked this morning when I went out, although plenty still have leaves on them.

I'm planning a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway Sunday although not sure yet whether we'll head to Mabry Mill or up to Peaks of Otter. Will try to report back in on how things look at a little higher elevation.

Roanoke, Virginia
9. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

Update as of 10/23/11 - Roanoke is seeing some color. Lots of yellows between about 1500 and 2500 feet of elevation. Driving south on the Blue Ridge Parkway saw some nice color through about the Bent Mountain area. Colors are mostly brown heading further south with a few pockets of color, but the overlooks have some nice views of color in the valleys below. Color is past peak down by Mabry Mill and Rocky Knob. Lots of traffic near Mabry Mill but not too bad the rest of the drive.

Gorgeous weather out there this weekend - enjoy it while it lasts!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 136
10. Re: How are the leaves in and around Roanoke?

I was at the Peaks of Otter 10/23 (and drove the Parkway from Bedford to Waynesboro). Yellows are stunning, some reds and oranges still out, some browns but still beautiful. Weather on Sunday was perfect and the crowds were enjoying the day. As you travel south toward Blacksburg, Radford, etc., colors are much less vibrant due to recent windy conditions (I was told). Enjoy.