We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting from UK, September

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leighton Buzzard...
reviews: 96
visiting from UK, September

Helo everyone. Husband and myself coming over in September. We WERE going to charlottesville for first week but a colleague of his has been waxing lyrical about Roanoke so I said I would try to find out more. Any must-sees? I've found these forums so incredibly helpful - very difficult to organise a trip at such a distance so any assistance gratefully rec'd. We are going to spend the second part of our holiday in the Virginia Beach area so will be moving on after about a week. Thanks all

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: visiting from UK, September

Roanoke has a restored historic downtown, a fun market in better weather, is nearer the Blue Ridge Mts., is about 30-40 minutes from Smith Mt. Lake where one can rent a boat, a pontoon boat and a houseboat even for a few days. It is a regular city with malls and hotels, etc. as well. There are good shows at the Civic Center....but many of the shows and the downtown weekend market activity are in spring,summer, fall. But look them up. Check out visitroanokeva.com/

The airport is larger than the ones in Charlottesville and Lynchburg. It also has a direct flight from Roanoke to Norfolk it seems. Norfolk is not too far from Va. Beach...depends on how you're travelling, at what point you are renting a car etc.

Roanoke
reviews: 8
2. Re: visiting from UK, September

There are a few nice things to see here and also a short distance from here in Lexington which is smaller college town with a long history and great atmosphere. I live in Roanoke, so feel free to ask questions and also let me know if you need a guide, I will be more than happy to show you around town. You can email me at carmenrome@hotmail.com

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 1
3. Re: visiting from UK, September

September is a beautiful time in Roanoke. I've lived here for a decade and love it.

If you like hiking, an easy trail is very near town and goes from the Parkway Spur to the top of Mill Mountain, for a view of the city. It's called the Star Trail.

For a very long and much more challenging trail, go to Catawba (about 15-20 minutes from downtown) and hike to the top of Macafee's Knob. Stunning view - and you can get a wonderful dinner at The Homeplace just down the road. They are used to Appalachian Trail hikers and don't care if you don't look your best!

Be sure to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. To the north is the Peaks of Otter (and in nearby Bedford is the National D-Day Memorial), and to the south is Mabry Mill and the Chateau Morrissette winery.

Speaking of wine, Valhalla Vineyards is a real treat, and has won many awards. Many locals don't know about it. It's at the top of Sugar Loaf Mountain Road (look it up on the web for more information).

Downtown Roanoke has a wonderful farmer's market and lots of cute stores. Many good restaurants are there. Definitely visit the Hotel Roanoke. Although I haven't visited it, the O. Winston Link museum is supposed to be great.

Good "add-on" trip would be to visit Natural Bridge, Lexington (Virginia Military Institute) and continue on to Charlottesville (great college town, Jefferson's home Monticello). It would be a long day trip; I would spend the night in Charlottesville. It would then be easy to travel on to Williamsburg/Virginia Beach.

Let me know if I can provide any more information on lodging, etc!

Santee, California
reviews: 44
4. Re: visiting from UK, September

Hi from a fellow Englishwoman... I suppose it all depends on what you're interested in. I live in Bedford, Virginia which is just beautiful. It is rural, UNSPOILED, and is rather like a step back in time. The Peaks of Otter are 9 miles up the road and very scenic with beautiful lake etc. The shops are quaint - no shopping mall here but lots of antique shops and eclectic choices. The big cities like Roanoke and Charlottesville have a lot of traffic and are very citified. If you like city life then they are fine but if you prefer the countryside, do come to Bedford. Lexington (a university town) is also quite lovely with great shopping and a horse farm. The D-Day Memorial is popular with U.S. residents but for English people it can be disappointing! The best part of visiting Virginia for you will be it's CHEAP! If you decide to stay in Bedford I highly recommend the Super 8. Very friendly, very reasonable (around $50. night for 2 including breakfast) and comfortable. Ask for room in back as you'll have great view of the Peaks. Dont plan on going in the sea at Virginia Beach - it's freezing! I believe most folks here like going to Myrtle Beach in the Carolinas. Better beach and warmer.

Happy to help.

Leighton Buzzard...
reviews: 96
5. Re: visiting from UK, September

Thank you all for the info'. Fellow Englishwoman - I actually live in the county of Bedfordshire, so will feel very intrigued to visit another Bedford! We are really looking forward to our trip. Regards from the UK

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
6. Re: visiting from UK, September

Saw on Myrtle Beach forum that you are looking for places to shop for a granddaughter. One of Lynchburg's...near Roanoke and Bedford...wonderful old southern aspects is its lovely shops with children's clothing. I have several granddaughters who are even 'deeper' into the south and will wear some of the wonderful flouncy, crinoline petticoat or summery embroidered things I find here.

First, let me tell you about a chain store that has very pretty things for little girls...the kinds of things grandmothers purchase, slightly impractical for the mom-and-dad budget but very beautiful and perfect for the budget of those who don't pay for everything else. The chain store is Target, of all places. I am told there are nicer things from the Lynchburg Target than from the ones in my chidren's areas....don't know why that is. Roanoke has a Target as well. Target has outfits set up near each other so that you can purchase the latest fad, top and bottom, etc., easily. Lovely, ankle length light pink dresses with crinoline skirts (but fabric under the netting so it won't scratch) and embroidery-look for only $19.99. The littler ones' clothes are even better priced. I'm enjoying all the bright colors of spring/summer now. Of course, pretty preppy shirts can be $6.99 or even less when you come since our summer sales will be on by then.

Lynchburg also has:'ntended for kids(ntendedforkids.com)

and Twinkle Twinkle in the same shopping center which is just at the edge of Lynchburg.

You might also look in T.J. Maxx, which is in Roanoke and Lynchburg for very discounted pretty items. I've found Laura Ashley and Ralph Lauren for little girls. There are items for grown ups and household items as well at good prices.