We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Roanoke?

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 2
Where to stay in Roanoke?

I might need to stay one night in Roanoke. Can someone recommend a motel close to the Blue Ridge Parkway? Thanks.

Virginia
reviews: 27
1. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

The parkway really kind of wraps around Roanoke, so "close to the parkway" is like half the county. Do you know which part of Roanoke you'll be in? Downtown, southwest county, north county near Botetourt, etc?

Knoxville, Tennessee
2. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Never been to Roanoke before. I'll be driving up I-81 to Roanoke on Saturday, then getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway Sunday and driving to Big Meadows in Shenandoah. Hopefully traffic won't be too bad Sunday on the Parkway or backed up too long getting into Shenandoah.

Is there a "cool" part of the city with restaurants, maybe craft shops, and music? Thanks.

Virginia
3. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Hmm, cool parts of the city I would say are downtown (around the city market) and maybe the Grandin Rd area. I'm pretty sure there are no hotels in Grandin though. Downtown there is the Hotel Roanoke, but it's probably more expensive than what you're looking for. Downtown and its surrounding area turns from "cool" to shady pretty quickly, so be careful with any other hotels that seem to be near there. It's really not that dangerous, just kind of depressing.

There's a Cambria Suites on Franklin Rd that I've heard is nice and a good value (I think it's pretty new). It would be convenient to the parkway (you could drive up Fishburn Parkway, past the Roanoke Star/Mill Mountain and then catch the parkway there) and to downtown (not really walking distance though, unless you wanted a really long walk). There's a little area on Crystal Springs Ave that has some restaurants too that you probably could walk to fairly easily from the Cambria. There are a few other motels in that area of Franklin Rd too (like a Ramada) that you may want to check out, but their reviews aren't as good and they are older.

All that being said, that Franklin Rd hotel area isn't super convenient to 81. It's not terribly inconvenient, but it will take you a good 20 minutes to get to it once you exit 81. Closer to 81, there's Salem, which has a cute downtown area (not particularly cool though, and the hotels are on the unattractive ends of main street), or there are hotels right off 81 in northern Roanoke/ southern Botetourt county. That area is neither cool nor charming, but it is convenient to 81 and to other access points of the parkway. There's a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Inn at the Troutville exit that might work for you.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Thanks Annie, for taking the time to reply. Yes, Hotel Roanoke is a little more expensive than what I need. I'm looking for something in the $100.00-$140.00 a night range.

There seems to be a Holiday Inn Express on Gainesboro Rd. near downtown Roanoke. Do you know if it's within walking distance of the restaurants and bars? For that matter, is it "safe" to walk around downtown Roanoke at night?

I also noticed that the Sat. I plan on staying in Roanoke is also Homecoming at Virginia Tech. Do many people stay in Roanoke for that ballgame?

Thanks.

Virginia
5. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

People do stay in Roanoke for VT games, but I think most of them stay right along 81. I know the Salem hotels right off 81 attract VT fans.

The Gainsboro location would be safe enough as it's near the civic center. It's about 1 mile from the city market, so it's walkable. It is along a fairly major road, but there are sidewalks. It won't be the most beautiful walk in all of Roanoke, but you should be fine.

It's perfectly safe to walk around downtown Roanoke at night, but make sure to stay in the core of downtown. If you look at a map and find the numbered streets that start with 1st street right in the market, I wouldn't walk past 5th street heading west at night. There's also no need to go past interstate 581 heading east.

Knoxville, Tennessee
6. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Thanks again for your reply.

Is there much parking available in downtown Roanoke?

Virginia
7. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Parking downtown is decent. People complain about the lack of it, but you can always find a place somewhere. There are a few garages (you have to pay, but usually not on weekends or at least on Sundays), several pay lots ($5 or less), and some street parking. The shopping and dining area is generally centered around the intersection of Campbell and Market.

Knoxville, Tennessee
8. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Thanks Annie. You've been very helpful.

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 66
9. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Everything in Roanoke is "close" to everything else. I would only stay at Hotel Roanoke. It is very special. The hotel itself could be a destination. I love it!

Knoxville, Tennessee
10. Re: Where to stay in Roanoke?

Hotel Roanoke looks very nice. But, it's about $200.00 a night and I'm looking for a place closer to $100.00 a night. I'll just have time to check-in somewhere and eat dinner before heading up the Blue Ridge Parkway the next morning.

Edited: 11:54 pm, August 23, 2010