We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

I'd like to sample some southern style cooking. I am not staying in Roanoke so I'm only looking for info regarding the Peaks of Otter in Bedford.

Thanks for your comments.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 36
1. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

I first ate at The Peaks in the mid seveties when I lived in Virginia. It is known most for its Sunday Buffet which was plentiful and good. My wife and I stayed there late last year in the Inn and ate a late dinner only and found the food acceptable (pretty good). Other things made the experience nice; the waitstaff was caring and attentive, even though I'm sure they wanted to close for the evening, the moonlight over the lake and the deer which came out of the woods and followed us to the room. Go for the Sunday Buffet if you can. I'm sure it will be a great southern representation.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
2. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

Funny you should ask. We were just by there this morning. Didn't get to dine but we'll be back by there next week and hope to do so.

We tood the East West route so didn't go down the Parkway but did spend time in the area. Many people will come from even a few hours away just to while away the day in this lovely setting. We were on our way elsewhere and there were lots of travelers also stopping to take their time around the lake and mountain scenery...I guess the visitor's version of slow cooking...slow traveling:)

As far a scenery, the trees should be nice any time from a couple of days from now onward. Funny summer I guess. Here and there there may be a particular tree in wonderful autumn regalia in one side of a yard...and the other side, still totally green. Same on the mountainsides. Lots of patches of yellow here and there, though. It rained this afternoon, but that just added to the ethereal quality nature can sometimes have.

DO remember your binoculars to see things from the many overlooks along your way. And, of course, a camera. If you can bring a slicker with hood or umbrella and some ol' Wellies for a walk around the lake even if it rains...priceless.

There is that little lake and the walk around it is just about a mile. It makes a nice after-meal stretch. (Or before meal if you are dining after dark)

The restaurant has had its ups and downs and we've eaten there very often. As far as we know it's still got the greens cooked in bacon, fried chicken, well salted ham, biscuits and pie.

Sunday's Country Buffet would be, well, country. But if you can't make it then, you'll still get enouhg country food on a weekday.

Since people come from all over the country...all over the world...and stay/eat at Peaks of Otter you will see on a typical lunch menu the ubiquitous blooming onion, a few little shrimp and crab items, I think one veggie burger, even a pasta and a stir fry dish and grilled chicken....and the country ham steak, southern fried chicken, chopped steak, barbecue pork, bread pudding with vanilla sauce, blackberry cobbler, pecan pie, lemon chess pie, praline sundae and bread pudding...did I say bread pudding? Does it look like I concentrate on dessert? Hmmm. Next week can't come soon enough.

I'll link the Peaks of Otter. When you move your browser over restaurants, click on "Lake View". When that comes up you'll see the picture of the view one has from that restaurant. The whole wall of the restaurant is glass and looks out over the lake and Sharp Top mountain.

You can also take a bus up to the top of Sharp Top. That view is stupendous and is the one pictured on the POO Lodge Home page in the upper right hand corner .

There's also a ranger station and visitor station where you can pick up books on the Parkway natural life and maps and take another short hike to an otd farm.

Sometimes there are rangers on the front porch of the POO Lodge. People can sit on the rockers and stand around and listen to the stories they tell about the area.

Indoors there's usually a fire going in the first floor room straight back across the lobby from the front doors. You can sit and relax there in the glass walled room looking at out nature.

There's a similar room and a pub in the lower level.

Realize fall is the busiest time of year there. If you go off times there will be fewer people, say, relaxing around the fire so you can enjoy a spot. We try to go before lunch starts to get a table because sometimes they take names if you're right there, sometimes you just have to line up.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

and here's that link I promised:)

http://www.peaksofotter.com/home.html

nyc
4. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

Thanks to both of you.

Thanks very much to both of you!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
5. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

Have a great time and let us know how it goes and what you think.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
6. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

Have been up and back and up and back. Up the mountain, that is.

With last weekend's rain and cooler temperatures the real vivid brilliant colors came out. I had read that they were more subdued till then and while summer was good for the leaves some also needed fall's cool temps and more rain to really show their colors.

Peaks of Otter restaurant was okay. Not bad at all; not fabulous. It's pretty good food in a glorious setting with magnificent views. There were busloads of people when we went....tourists, church buses from local towns. When we went to the restaurant desk we were told it would be an hour for our little group. They don't give a beeper so we planned to be inside the lodge to hear our name called. So we headed first out to the front porch for some porch rocking. No rangers for stories about the area those times. Then we went insdie to spend time looking at the gift shop...some great stuff...and got a Beanpod soybean candle. It wasn't long before our name was called. Service was good, waitress was quaint (some were young a very quick).

The blueberry cobbler for dessert one day was delicious and, we felt, enough for two.

Then the usual amble around the lake and picture taking.

Do remember bug spray...just a normal part of life in the middle of nature.

7. Re: Anyone with recent dining experience at the Peaks of Otter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 29, 2010