We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Charlottesville

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Connecticut
reviews: 6
Drive to Charlottesville

My husband and I have to drive from Louiville KY to Charlottesville VA, but are considering detouring to Roanoke so we can drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains to get to Charlottesville. We would drive to Roanoke, spend the night and then take the scenic drive to Cville the following day. Is this a good starting point for a drive through the mountains? Is there a better place to detour to? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

What time of year? Portions of BRP can be closed in winter.

Windsor, Connecticut
2. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

This would be for next week - September 24th.

Virginia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

As much as I love Roanoke, the drive from Louisville to Charlottesville is going to be quite scenic without detouring to Roanoke. You'll see very similar scenery either way. The difference is that you'll miss the Blue Ridge Parkway if you stay to the north. The parkway gives you more opportunities to pull over and get out of the car to enjoy the views, you don't have big 18 wheelers obstructing the views, and it's kind of quaint; however, the views from I-64 between Charleston, WV and Lexington, VA and then again when you get near C-ville are very similar to what you'll see on the parkway.

If you want to break up the ride or visit the city of Roanoke, then I'd advise stopping there, but if it's purely for mountain scenery, I personally wouldn't.

Just going from Louisville to Charlottesville via pretty much any route (with or without the Roanoke detour), you drive over a very scenic mountain area right before you get to Charlottesville (on 64). There are a few scenic viewpoints where you can pull into a lot and enjoy the views.

Windsor, Connecticut
4. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

Thanks Annie! With that information, I think we'll drive straight through to Charlottesville - that will give us extra time there.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 39
5. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

Hi,

Take a look at "Help!" recently entered below. switching over to the 460/29 routes for the Roanoke to Charlottesville trip would eliminate some of the slow parkway travel with a little planning.

6. Re: Drive to Charlottesville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, March 17, 2010