We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Roanoke

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
First Trip to Roanoke

We are stopping through Roanoke next Wednesday on our way to DC. We want to stay where there are good restaurants and bars. Can you recommend the following:

1) Hotel walking distance to restuarants/bars?

2) GREAT restaurants (cost doesn't matter, just good food) ... and any good bars?

Thank you!

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
1. Re: First Trip to Roanoke

A lot depends on your lodging preferences and price range. You can stay right downtown at the Hotel Roanoke and be within walking distance of some great clubs, such as Metro and Corned Beef & Co., and a variety of restaurants. But, the rates are a bit high. You could also stay near Valley View Mall at the Hyatt Place, Comfort Inn or Mainstay Suites and be within walking distance of tons of shopping and chain restaurants. My friend owns the Red Palace Chinese buffet and I quite like it. It is located right next to the Hyatt Place. Buffalo Wild Wings (B Dubs) is located in the mall. Great for a drink or two.

If I were to pick the best food in Roanoke, which is a highly subjective endeavor, I'd probably go with Carlos Brazilian International Cuisine. Here's their website: http://www.carlosbrazilian.com/

Enjoy your stay and the beautiful Roanoke Valley.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 41
2. Re: First Trip to Roanoke

My husband and I try to stay at the Hotel Roanoke (www.hotelroanoke.com) at least once a year just because it's such a great place to stay. It's technically a Hilton Doubletree Hotel, but it's got character and class like no other. Like the PP mentioned it is within walking distance of downtown Roanoke (www.downtownroanoke.com) or you can catch a drink in their bar on site. They also have a top ranked restaurant on site too. You won't find any chain restaurants, but I can second going to Corned Beef & Co (www.cornedbeefandco.com). They have great food, a really large bar area, and also pool & poker tables. I haven't eaten at Metro (www.metroroanoke.com) or 202 Market Place (www.202market.net) but I have heard good things about them both. They're both pretty pricey, whereas Corned Beef is quite reasonable in my opinion.

If you opt to stay near the mall there are tons of chains: Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Logan's, Ruby Tuesday, Red Robin, Applebees, etc as well as a great movie theater too (www.consolidatedmovies.com). Hope you have a nice trip to the area!

Charlotte, NC
3. Re: First Trip to Roanoke

This is great information. Thank you!

I was able to get a good deal at Hotel Roanoke (20% Orbitz coupon + rate went down today!)

We are headed up there tomorrow. The goal is to get a feel for the local flavor and non-chain restaurants.

thanks for all the tips! If there is anything else, keep it coming!!!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 34
4. Re: First Trip to Roanoke

There's a great restaurant in the Hollins area of Roanoke called Hollywoods... great food and amazing desserts.... Highly recommend...

I also like Red Palace - but it's a buffet - so you have to like that kind of thing. It is a great buffet though - fresh and high quality... yum!

5. Re: First Trip to Roanoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 18, 2010