We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Smith Mountain Lake

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holiday, Fl
Relocating to Smith Mountain Lake

I am looking for an area around smith mountain lake that has young families. We would like to find a house with off water lake access . Is the area mostly retirees ?We have 3 young children so it would be nice to have other kids around and still be able to enjoy the lake. Is there anywhere like that ?

Thanks for anyinformation

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Relocating to Smith Mountain Lake

We're a couple of hours from SML. We were there years ago and know many people who love it...although there are issues now about all the faster speed boats causing accidents which they're working on. I looked at the Smith Mountain Laker paper site and found some of their demographics for SML which they use so their advertizers will know who lives there and who they're selling to. Thought it might be helpful to you. Don't know who compiled it.

36% are 60 year of age +; 27% are 51-60 and 27% are 41-50; 9% are 21-40; children under 18 at home is 15%.

Household income is 34% over $100K; 44% $50-99K. 77% are married. 60% are female.

49% are professional/managerial. 35% are retired. 66% dine out 1-2 evenings a week. 92% own a home; 36% plan to buy or sell a home/vacation home within the next 12-18 months. 45% homes are over $250K; 34% are under $150K.

Residents' net worth is about 30% for each of $200K-499,800 and $500-999K. And then around 20% for each of 'uner $200K' and 'over $1,000,000'.

Check out www.visitsmithmountainlake.com and at the top somewhere is a real estate option you can click on which will eventually take you to realtors with their chamber. You can ask a realtor for info in your price range. Also check Realtor.com. Reators can't tell you a neighborhood is mostly children, or mostly retirees, I understand, just as they can't tell you where people of different color or ethnic groups live....but I believe you can say you will not be happy in any place without children and they'll show you only those areas.

Holiday, Fl
2. Re: Relocating to Smith Mountain Lake

thanks for all the information. It looks like Goodview has a younger population but I'm not sure if they have water access to Sml .

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Relocating to Smith Mountain Lake

Smith Mountain Lake has 500 miles of shoreline, passing through three counties...so there are some differences. There are 7 public boat launching sites and many public and private marinas. You might find this site helpful:smith-mountain-lake.com/. There are many photos and links, including a link to the Chamber of Commerce that could answer questions not on the site.