We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A single night in Roanoke!!

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
reviews: 42
A single night in Roanoke!!

Hello,

We're a family from UK.

In Roanoke for just one evening / night as we travel down the Shenandoah Valley / Blue Ridge Parkway.

Staying overnight at the Best Western Inn at Valley View??? Good or not???

What could we do??

Where could we eat??

Cheers!

Steve

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 48
1. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

Things to do: There's the Ice Station (ice skating, arcade games), Mill Mountain and Zoo, depending on the date you might find theater or concerts of interest -- tell me when and I'll look for you. You must go to the Circle in the Square. Here is the info on that:

One Market Square, SE, Roanoke, VA 24011 �� 540-342-5700

This restored 1914 facility houses the Art Museum of Western Virginia, the Arts Council of the Blue Ridge, the History Museum of Western Virginia, and the Science Museum of Western Virginia and Hopkins Planetarium. The square is internationally recognized for its commitment to education and community development.

Places to eat: I'm sure there are nice places in The Square, but I don't know any since I don't live there -- I just pass through several times a year to visit my daughter in college nearby. Near your hotel is the Mall along with all the famous chain restaurants -- good variety and decent quality of typical American food (HA -- that means pizza and tacos in addition to steak, chicken and burger) at Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, Awful Arthur's, TGIFriday's.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 48
2. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

Here are some good sites to check out:

www.downtownroanoke.org

www.visitroanokeva.com

www.theartscouncil.org

www.centerinthesquare.org

Wales
3. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

Thanks very much for the info. !

Virginia
4. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

I'm shocked Awful Arthurs is now in Roanoke!! I used to live nearby and the only thing to do was ride back and forth down williamson road....

The Mill mountain (view from the Star) is awsome at night to look around the city - and I would agree the Mill Mountain Zoo is okay too. I like hiking up to the star. Since I'm not much of a hiker anyway - it does give you a sense of accomplishment once there for the view..... but for the most part it looks like the best is yet to come for them traveling to the shenandoah valley and Blue ridge Parkway....oh Steve, don't pick the flowers on the parkway.....we have 'funny laws' here - you don't pick wild flowers.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
5. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

I really don't know anything about Roanoke, but our family is staying overnight there on our way from RI to TN. We are staying at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Roanoke. I read some really good reviews about it, it's convenient to route 81 (which we'll be traveling), and for just about $110/nt six of us will be able to stay in one room (2 queen beds and sleep sofa) and get free continental breakfast. I booked directly through their website.

Wales
6. Re: A single night in Roanoke!!

Travel.........

I plan to take time on our travels to "smell the flowers", not pick them.. :-)

I'm on holiday....chill, see the sights.. enjoy!

Thanks for everyone's input!!