We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

#505 bus from Reston

Which Reston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
reviews: 19
#505 bus from Reston

The WMATA trip planner tells me that I can get the #505 Fairfax Commuter bus to West Falls Church Metro at the corner of "Bluemont @ Reston" (just near the Hyatt Regency). However, when I zoom in with GoogleMaps, I cannot find anything that looks remotely like a bus stop on any of the corners. The 505 route map implies that the bus would be going south on Reston Pkwy? Can someone advise us which corner we should be heading for? Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 15
1. Re: #505 bus from Reston

It's more than just a bus stop.

Go at it from another angle, Fairfax County Connector maps and routes:

www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/maps/505m.htm

fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/505.htm

Also click on Park and Ride Lots. Click on your desired lot and you'll see options for Bird's Eye View or a Graphic Map view.

Reston, Virginia
2. Re: #505 bus from Reston

The 505 departs from the but depot on Bluemont and Library - about a block from Jackson's and The Big Bowl - and heads towards Reston Parkway. There is a bus stop On Bluemont just before the intersection with Reston Parkway. It's closer to Reston Parkway than it is to the Hyatt, almost at the corner.

The bus does turn right on Reston Parkway, and left onto Sunset - there is no stop on Reston Parkway.

Dallas
3. Re: #505 bus from Reston

So I can either walk to the depot or wait on eastbound Bluemont (SW corner)? Thanks to both of you for the for the clarification.

Reston, Virginia
4. Re: #505 bus from Reston

Yep (and it's a pretty quick ride to WFC, the bus enters the toll road on Wiehle).

Dallas
5. Re: #505 bus from Reston

So, a related question: our first encounter with Metro this trip will be getting on this bus in Reston. We have added $$ to our SmarTrip cards online, but are unclear as to whether the bus will be able to "read" the loaded amount. There used to be this thing where you had to tap your card at a fare machine in a Metro station after an online purchase, but I do not see that requirement anymore on the WMATA site. There seems to be a "Connector Store" near (but not at?) the Bluemont/Library depot. In the absence of streetview in Reston, can't tell exactly.

So, do we need to go to the store first or can we get directly on the bus? Any chance there are Metro machines at Dulles that they're not telling us about?

Thanks again.

Reston, Virginia
6. Re: #505 bus from Reston

I don't load money online, so I can't answer your question. The Connector Store is inside the depot. I once called Fairfax Connector and sore with a live person who was very helpful. They have also answered a question on Twitter during the government shut down regarding a change in schedule. Good luck, and enjoy your trip

Dallas
7. Re: #505 bus from Reston

Turns out the answer is "NO", the money will not be loaded on the card. The CharmCard & SmarTrip card websites mean that money added online will not be available until up to 3 days after the first tap of the card, NOT 3 days after the online addition. So we needed to add money at a fare machine in addition to the money already added online. Rookie mistake!

Reply to: #505 bus from Reston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted