We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Reston

Which Reston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
reviews: 22
Public Transport from Reston

I am visiting a relative in Reston again soon and do not want to depend too much on her for getting around and would like to do a few things on my own. I would like to go to Baltimore for the day maybe and perhaps head to some shops around Tysons Corner.

Is there a decent public transport network to both? Has the metro made its way out as far as Reston yet?

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 28
1. Re: Public Transport from Reston

Unfortunately no, Metro rail won't be running to Reston until late this year at the earliest. There are Metro buses available, but as you'll see from the bus map (a .pdf available here: http://www.wmata.com/pdfs/bus/VA.pdf?) it is a spaghetti collection of routes that can be hard to decipher.

Your best bet is to go to the Metro route planner (upper left hand corner of www.wmata.com, click "advanced" to be able to enter street addresses), put in where you'll start and where you'll want to go, and follow the directions provided on which buses to take at which times.

To get to Baltimore, your best bet will be to get yourself in to Union Station in D.C. (reachable from Reston by a combination of Metro bus to Metro rail), and then taking either MARC rail (a commuter railway) or Amtrak to Baltimore. It'll be a long day of connections, but can be done if you map out your routes and departure times in advance.

Cork
reviews: 22
2. Re: Public Transport from Reston

Thank you. Thats a good starting point anyway.

Might be easier to just hire a car by the looks though.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 28
3. Re: Public Transport from Reston

Yes, if you are OK with the cost (both of the car and of having to park it at many places you'd consider visiting), and can handle the prospect of driving in sometimes heavy traffic on the opposite side of the road, then I'd highly recommend a car for anyone staying in Reston.

In addition to having better access to the sites, depending on where exactly your relative lives you might be beyond walking distance from things like the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. A car will give you great freedom to go about your day without imposing on your relative.

Reply to: Public Transport from Reston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted