We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scranton, PA to Reston, VA by Car

Which Reston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sctanton, Pa
Scranton, PA to Reston, VA by Car

I am driving Thursday, 3/2, to Reston. Which is the best route after Gettysburg, Rt 15 thru Leesburg or Rt 15 to 270? I have never driven either route before. Please advise as to pros & cons of each. Any advice will be appreciated. Thankyou.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Scranton, PA to Reston, VA by Car

There are a few ways to go...just a matter of preference I think.

We take 81 actually all the way from Scranton. We feel the super highway is faster and still provides gorgeous mt. views. For Reston, we'd cut over on 66 in Va. The traffic on 66 is only bad when people are commuting East in the a.m so just don't go East till after 9 or 10 a.m.

But prepare in case there's dense fog anywhere between Hazelton and Harrisburg. We have often made a stop in Hazelton for Friendly's or Damon's if we stay overnight...and, lately, for the late movie in the newer looking multiplex with stadium seating, which makes a nice change of pace.

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Scranton, PA to Reston, VA by Car

I81 to South of Harrisburg

Take 11 East to 15S

Take 15 S to Leesburg

Take the Dulles Greenway (toll) to Reston.

We've come back from Upstate NY that way a few times without issue. I81 to I66 is nice road but out of the way. You can make good time in Rte 15.