We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Which Reston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
11 posts
Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Yes, I will be working in Reston. I don't want to do a lot of communting-that is the reason I would prefer to live in REston. The only thing I did not like in addition to expensive housing and rent is the apartment complexes. They are so big and an abundance of amenities. There are no 6 apartment buildings with no amenities -smaller apartments with just parking.

After reading the article, an old article, "commuting sentence" from the Washington Post forget it. I did think about living farther south in Va but then there is no train to take me to Reston. I also did like very much Leesburg (the city you mentioned) but that would be an hour commute to Reston-again no train.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
11. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Our public transportation in this area is really designed to get people from the suburbs into DC, not make it easy to get from suburb to suburb. There are Metro busses and Fairfax county busses, but they don't seem to be that reliable. When I used to work in Springfield, I would often see people stranded when the bus wouldn't show up. Maybe someone here will tell me otherwise, since everyone I know that lives and/or works in Reston drives.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
12. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

html:

You also said you thought you could take the metro from George Mason University and then the bus. The orange line neds at Vienna and is not close to George Mason, maybe 5 miles.

illinois
11 posts
13. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

That is what I thought. You drive everywhere.

I contacted the transportation service in Reston and there are buses that go to the office I would be working. However, it seems difficult to find a 1 bedroom apartment under 1100-1200 a month. I used realtor.com. Is this the average? If I were to go out of Reston, there would have to be a bus line to take me to work. I really do not want to drive.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
14. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I don't know about using realtor.com. I would use craigslist.org and apartments.com, I think you will find a much better selection. I'm looking at craigslist now and I see quite a few apartments available in Reston for 1200.