We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Which Reston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Yes, I will be working in Reston. I don't want to do a lot of communting-that is the reason I would prefer to live in REston. The only thing I did not like in addition to expensive housing and rent is the apartment complexes. They are so big and an abundance of amenities. There are no 6 apartment buildings with no amenities -smaller apartments with just parking.

After reading the article, an old article, "commuting sentence" from the Washington Post forget it. I did think about living farther south in Va but then there is no train to take me to Reston. I also did like very much Leesburg (the city you mentioned) but that would be an hour commute to Reston-again no train.

illinois
1. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Sorry, response to DWG not DRG.

Northern Virginia
2. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I don't remember if you are a single person renting or if you will have a spouse or roommate but an option if you have more than one occupant would be to rent a townhouse in a non-amenitized community. You might find a decent 3-BR in the $2,000/month range in Reston, not sure. I can't imagine that the commute from Leesburg to Reston is an hour. Also, take a harder look at Herndon. It is right next door to Reston. Vienna has some older type apartments. Not sure of the pricing. I live in Vienna and commute to Reston. Takes about 10 minutes against the traffic flow.

illinois
3. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

How would the commute be to Leesburg from Virginia? Are there smaller aparment buildings without all those amenities.

I would be moving to Reston by myself.

illinois
4. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I really don't want to have to drive to work even if it is a short distance. At first, I prefer to have a miniumu commute. Is it expensive to live around George Mason University?

illinois
5. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Is it more affordable to live on the east side of Reston or the West side?

Northern Virginia
6. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I am a little confused by your question about George Mason since you said you don't want to drive to work. George Mason University is probably 10 miles from Reston so that isn't an option if you don't want to drive. However, while that area is nice (and adjacent to the City of Fairfax) housing will be less expensive as compared to Reston.

Towns to the east of Reston will be more expensive than towns to the west of Reston. If you are asking about the eastern section of Reston as opposed to the western section of Reston then I don't think there is a big difference and pricing will be more a function of how nice the community is, the amenities and, of course, proximity to Reston Town Center. Condos near the Town Center are selling from low $300,000s to $500,000.

In general, I think you may have a challenge on your hands to get inexpensive housing in easy walking distance to the office centers in Reston. Reston is a relatively new "town" developed over the last 30 years. Aside from the office buildings in the town center much of Reston is kind of spread out with pockets of office complexes, making it difficult, although not impossible, to walk to work. Biking to work would be much more feasible, except during very occasional winter snowstorms. If you want to share where the building is located that you will be working at I may be able to give you better ideas.

illinois
7. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I thought I could take the metro from George Mason and then take a bus is what I was thinking. I am actually not crazy about driving only if I have to. Since the area is new for me I prefer to be close at the beginning then I will have time to look. But, in the meantime I prefer to stay close to work and it seems like Reston has enough for me to do and it is close to the orange metro line.

illinois
8. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

DWG-How long have you lived in the Vienna area? Do you ever take public transportation or do you drive everywhere?

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
9. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

Have you looked in the Washington Post classifieds? They are online at:

washingtonpost.com/wp-adv/…front.htm

When prompts come for city/county you will want Fairfax County where Reston and George Mason are) or Loudoun County (Leesburg area)

or you can pick up a Post at Barnes and Noble, etc. in larger cities.

You might also like:

http://www.restonweb.com/index.html

Northern Virginia
10. Re: Living in Reston Virgina (Response to DRG)

I've been here for almost 10 years. I very rarely use public transportation, only very occasionally using the metro trains to go to sporting events in DC. The orange line ends at the Vienna metro station which is probably 7 miles from Reston Town Center. I know nothing about any of the bus services in the area and don't believe I have ever been on any of them.