We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

Land O Lakes, FL
reviews: 6
How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

I am currently planning a trip to LA and from there will be driving up the coast. Its a long weekend stay. I intended on leaving one day (Monday) to drive back straight through from Monterey to LA - based on google maps it seems doable, but after having spent an inordinate amount of time reading reviews and posts on here I am growing more and more concerned that it would be too long (anything more than 8 hours is what concerns me).

Googles estimation w/traffic is 6 hrs 40 mins

Does this sound accurate to anyone else?

Carlsbad, California
reviews: 27
1. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

Taking the 5 freeway is usually 6-7 hours depending on traffic. The coast drive will be a couple of hours longer.

You will love Monterey and the coastal drive.

Have fun

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
2. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

Google estimate is accurate if you take the inland 101 route. If you plan on the scenic route through Big Sur it will take at least 7 hours without any stops or major traffic tie ups.

Redlands, California
reviews: 30
3. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

Do you plan to drive the coast route up and the faster route back? I think the drive is more enjoyable coming south as you are on the ocean side. However, for the driver there are drawbacks to too much scenery! If you plan to stop and admire the view, either way would be fine.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

Whichever way you do the trip, don't take Highway 5 for the other direction. It is brutal, with trucks on your back and the scenery is non-existent.

The other route should be Highway 101 which parallels Highway 1, but on the other side of the coastal mountains.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
5. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

lunagirl11 «straight through from Monterey to LA … it seems doable … concerned that it would be … ore than 8 hours is what concerns me»

There are several routes described on the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html where some of your questions are answered. It's augmented by the report linked to the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ entitled "A Trip to Anaheim…"

«Googles estimation is … 6 hrs 40 mins … Does this sound accurate to anyone else?»

Yes. In fact, I think it's generous. You should be able to make that trip in about six hours via Salinas and Highway 101.

6. Re: How long is the drive from Monterey to LA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 23, 2009