We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Adelaide, South...
3 posts
Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

I was just wondering, is the Bay of Islands a good place to see/be alone. I really want to be a secluded as possible. So is there heaps to see via kayak? Good places to camp? Heaps to see? If not where are the best places to do this??

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
22,975 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum :)

I haven't been kayaking in BOI so don't know the ins and outs.

But I doubt you are able to camp anywhere except in designated camping spots - plus there is a strictly enforced no fire ban on all the islands.

I suggest you contact the kayak rental companies and see what they propose.

Best of luck - and please return to the forum and let us know what you find out :)

Adelaide, South...
3 posts
2. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Cheers for the quick reply. I was planning the trip for November. Haven't completely decided on where exactly. In your opinion where would be the best place for this kind of trip. I'm wanting to be as secluded as possible.

Adelaide, South...
3 posts
3. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Cheers for the quick reply. I was planning the trip for November. Haven't completely decided on where exactly. In your opinion where would be the best place for this kind of trip. I'm wanting to be as secluded as possible.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
22,975 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

For stunning kayaking then BOI and Abel Tasman would be the top choices.

Abel Tasman and Golden Bay is likely to have the better weather - the top left of the South Island has years of being the sunshine capital of NZ.

But as for remote solo camping - I do think you will find limitations. The only way to find out is make enquiries directly with the rental agencies.

Happy planning :)

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Most kayak hire places won't hire single sea kayaks. They usually only hire doubles for two people, or require you go on a group tour. They will hire sit-on-top kayaks, but it depends how far you are planning to paddle.

North Island, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

We went with Richard an American who lives and runs this adventure a few years back. He has a website : northlandseakayaking.co.nz - we were novices and were rewarded with an amazing journey - some amazing coastline that he takes you through - but then NZ is beautiful everywhere. I definitely recommend. We were the only two that took his tour at that time so plenty of one on one.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

Queen Charlotte Sound is more likely to have empty campsites than Abel Tasman (can't comment on BOI). You can only camp at designated sites in both, but QC doesn't have as many crowds. However most kayak hire companies will still only hire out double sea kayaks. There is probably more to see out kayaking in Abel Tasman (lots of estuaries / tidal rivers to explore, and seals) although QC is also very nice.

8. Re: Hiking, Kayaking and Camping alone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 07, 2014