We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maori "Princess" statue

Adelaide, Australia
Maori "Princess" statue

My family oral history says that we are descended from the first child of mixed race in New Zealand. This child was a girl and there is supposed to be a statue of her or her mother in a town in the Bay of Island region. Does any know of a statue fitting this description?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 118
1. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

I cant remember ever seeing a female Maori statue in the Far North. The only one I am aware of is on the esplanade in Napier.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
2. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

contact the visitor center in Russel. there is a lotof information about her, so i am sure they will have it. If my memory serves me correctly, she was born on one of the islands. I do not know of a statue, however, there may well be one now. best of luck in your search

Paihia
3. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

Hi, I don't know of any statue around the Bay of islands. Maybe contact the Russell Museum email: rslmuseum@xtra.co.nz. Good Luck! Regards Sue

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 118
4. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

We have found another Maori Woman statue and thats in Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty.

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

The only one I know of but it wouldn't be in the Bay of Islands would be "Pania of the Reef" in Napier in Hawkes Bay but not too sure of any up in the Bay of Islands.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 10
6. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

"Pania of the Reef" was the only female statue that came to my mind.

7. Re: Maori "Princess" statue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 14, 2014