We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single travel for female

Which Ka'anapali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bryant, Arkansas
Single travel for female

I am going to Maui on a last minute vacation. Im a single 34 y/o and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on things that are a must see that I wont be surrounded by honeymooners and couples. Also, Id like opinions on a car rental; if I really NEED one, or if ill be fine without.

And is it safe for me to go out alone there? I'm a pretty experienced traveler, but have only traveled alone a few times

Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Single travel for female

Yes, you'll need a car - and you need to reserve it today. Maui can, and does, run out of rental cars.

How nights will you be on Maui?

Where are you staying?

Why did you choose Maui? What do you like to do? Do you have a good travel guidebook and map? Go over to the Maui Forum and take a look at the "Top Questions" off to the right -hand side.

If you use the normal cautions necessary when traveling anywhere - you'll be fine.

Edited: 3:21 pm, May 17, 2013
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
reviews: 16
2. Re: Single travel for female

Hello neighbor,

Many things for solo female travelers to do that are safe. I'll give some general suggestions not knowing where you will be staying. These are safe things I like when I have made a solo trip or have a few solo days on the island.

First get a car, many of us use www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/… for our cars. Compact or economy is all you will need.

Morning snorkel sail.

Depending on where you stay I'll suggest beaches, for morning beach time. so get back with us.. Maui has wonderful beaches.

Walk the Kapalua Costal Trail, beautiful scenery. Trail starts at Kapalua Bay.

Iao Valley State Park

Lavender Farm (you can walk the floral gardens, no fee).

Tour the winery.

Drive to the summit of Haleakala during the mid morning, out of this world experience.

Stroll and shop Paia and Makawao

Stroll the boardwalk along the hotels/resorts in Ka'anapali, visiting the whalers Museum and shops in Whalers Village.

Stroll the boardwalk along the resort in Wailea.

Head to the huge Swap Meet in Kahului on Saturday 7am-2.. fun things to buy for your self and friends.

Go to Lahaina (daytime) visit the Banyand Tree, pick up a walking - self tour map at the Old court house of the Historic Lahaina area.

Take a lesson: either surf or Stand Up Paddle , go out with a kyaka group..

Let us know what type of activities you like and we'll have more suggestions.

Bryant, Arkansas
3. Re: Single travel for female

im looking st staying at the westin villas....my flight is booked and the rental car but im still searching for a hotel....everything looks like a honey moon hotel.... ive found a ferry to lanai? that looks like something im interested in....the hotel is a problem because im trying to stay away from "couples" hotels....Im not looking for a singles hotel, but I dont want to be surrounded by couples.....and Im trying to book last minute....sort of a " forgetting sarah marshall" vacation:) Whalers Village is a for sure and there is a waterfall hike that looks great but other than that im drawing a blank....I WANT to do Pearl Harbor BC im a big history buff but it looks impossible....im really at a loss and really needing help...surfing lessons would be GREAT but cant find anything about it! I feel like ppl vacation here all the time but im not finding anything for a single female!

Bryant, Arkansas
4. Re: Single travel for female

to barefootnar

where did yo find surf lessons?

Sacramento...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Single travel for female

http://goofyfootsurfschool.com or http://www.mauiwaveriders.com/

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 24
6. Re: Single travel for female

I've traveled solo to Maui a few times. I usually stay in a condo, but a hotel can be nice for pampering too.

I took a road to Hana tour (so I could see the scenery), a couple of snorkeling trips, went to Little Beach for sunset on Sunday. Have drinks at the bar (Kimo's was a favorite). I also went on a hike with Hike Maui. Took a SUP lesson. And spent a lot of time at the beach. I ended up meeting people on the tours and went to dinner with them. Even one honeymoon couple. The driver on my RTH tour asked me out, so I went. It was fun :)

I'm going back again in September solo. I was there in February with a friend, but I'm really excited for some "me on Maui" time.

Seattle
reviews: 7
7. Re: Single travel for female

Where to stay as a solo traveler...interesting question for Maui, and though I've never traveled to Maui alone, I actually do enjoy the occasional solo trip here and there... Check back a couple weeks in this forum and try to find SeattleRoyHobbs postings. He traveled solo, so you might find some perspective there. Offhand, I might consider the Sheraton--I think you'd get a variety of guests there, not only "couples", with plenty of amenities to keep you happy. Another option sort of in a different vein might be the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Smaller, less luxurious, but very "aloha", and you might find a safe "community" feel there hanging around the Tiki Bar and pool! And its in a lovely location. Hopefully some others will chime in with some additional options. Good luck! and have a great time.

PS--I second Goofy Foot for surfing lessons. Also--consider a golf lesson or two. I think there are golf "schools" at both the north (Kapalua) and south (Wailea) ends of the island. We were looking into that but ended up not doing it...I found info by googling. Are you into tennis? Some resorts and condo-resorts offer tennis and will have skills/drills sessions and connect you with a partner if you want to play some matches (again, look about a month back in the Maui forum for a TR from a couple that played a lot of tennis staying near Kaanapali....)

Edited: 7:40 pm, May 23, 2013
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
8. Re: Single travel for female

The Westin Villas would work for you...you will find singles, couples and lots of families. We always meet neat folks in the hot tubs in the evenings. They also offer free shuttles into Whaler's Village and Lahaina, that I use when my tribe wants to do something and I don't!

Victoria
reviews: 5
9. Re: Single travel for female

Hi,

One thing that I thought was super fun was paddle surfing lessons. I took them out of Lahaina and my guide was named Armadillo, Not sure if that was his real name, but he was great. I'm sure if you go into Lahaina at night you'll find plenty of single people. i'd love to hear a trip report for the single perspective. Have fun

Edited: 8:10 pm, May 24, 2013
Plover, Wisconsin
reviews: 10
10. Re: Single travel for female

Check out the Royal Lahaina we have stayed there 2 years in a row and loved it. It is a 15-20 min walk to whalers village just north of black rock. "SeattleRoyHobbs" has stayed here 5 or 6 times from his posts that I've read. We stayed there 2 years in a row during the last week of February, and saw a few of the same single travelers both years in a row.