We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Which Ka'anapali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dixon, Illinois
reviews: 1
Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

I recently booked 14 days at an Aston property on Maui. Unfortunately, plane malfunctions delayed my arrival until the 2nd day. However, I had to pay $400+ for the first day for the following reasons explained to me: 1) Aston Hotels and Resorts does not forgive/wave charges for missed arrivals due to plane malfunctions, even thought I notified them by 3 p.m. the day I was to arrive, which was the soonest I was made aware of the inability to meet the connecting flight. 2) Aston Hotels and Resorts sometimes waves charges for missed arrivals due to weather-related issues but not for plane malfunctions. 3) Aston Hotels and Resports has primary responsibilities to earn a profit for the organization and property owners; the unstated assumption being that customer satisfaction/service is secondary. 4) The fact that I was staying on the property for an additional 13 days and spending money at restaurants, bars, and shops on the property was a non-factor in consideration of waving charges for the missed first day.

While I may continue to use “for rent by owner” condos at Aston properties, I will not rent any of their properties through the resorts. I will contact the family and friends I had previously influenced to rent through Aston Hotels and Resorts to cease doing so. If the occasion arises, I will discourage others from renting thought Aston Hotels and Resorts. Needless to say, I am most disappointed in Aston’s philosophy, policy and practice of corporate profit trumping customer service/satisfaction.

reviews: 8
31. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Hey Mike, I'm out of Chicago and always look at the layover time on west coast to see if I think it's enough just in case with Chicago's awesome weather we have ( lol) . But I know it's always a risk that something may delay us, and everyone has their butts covered on liability to reimburse if something happens. I looked at the travel insurance available through Maui condo and Home, which handles reservations for the owner of the condo we rent, and after page 4 I said forget this, they won't help either . I like the idea to look at your credit card, and the airline for some help, I too can't really blame Aston, maybe with 24 hours they try and rent it?. But just have a great time !!!!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
32. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Mike? Where is Mike? He posts a bomb, and then leaves. He's not interested in what anyone has to say. It's a drive-by complaint, and a ridiculous one at that.

tucson, az
reviews: 6
33. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

>>Yes, I can see where a big hotel that has plenty of stock can be flexible and in the interest of goodwill in not charging under special circumstances.It is a different story when you have reserved a specific condo that can not recoup that lost revenue.<<

The hotel I work at, we can be very flexible about moving reservations and charging or not charging. I work the night shift and I keep my eye on national weather. When I get a sad voice telling me at 3 AM that due to the winter storms/local monsoons they are stuck in Airport X- or their house- for the rest of the night I'm good about moving it or cancelling it. Others I have worked with don't care if you're stuck in Europe due to a volcano erupting, they're charging you as a no show.

I think the problem with mechanical failure is: they have learned through experience that many people use it when really they missed their flight. With a snowstorm any fool can go to a website and look up to see if Denver really did get socked with 4 feet of snow and they closed the airport. Or listen to the radio and realize all airports in NYC got shut down because of Hurricane Sandy.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
34. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Always buy a travel insurance policy, a good one. It will cover both the airline delay and cancellations or delays that you initiate (for stated reasons).

There are sites that compare TI policies and coverage to help you shop, like www.insuremytrip.com and AAA also sells travel insurance if you are a member and want a company AAA recommends.

Edited: 6:37 am, February 18, 2013
unict
35. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Mechanical issues, unlike weather, are the responsibility of the airline. Contact them. Which one was it, BTW?

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 9
36. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

Joan, you were lucky.

I made a reservation for a maui condo in July of 2012 for May of 2013. By November 2012 we realized due to drop in revenue we were not going to be able to afford the May 2013 trip. I notified the owner in November that due to lack of work we had to cancel.

Thank goodness our deposit was only around $130.00 but the owner would NOT refund our deposit, even with 6 months notice.

I previously had GREAT experiences with the owner but this one threw me for a loop, needless to say it left me with a bad taste in my mouth..... BUT the owner was clearly within their contract so I chalked it up to live and learn. They did offer to credit the deposit for a future stay so I guess that is something.

footnote: all of the days I cancelled have been re-booked :-(

Sacramento...
reviews: 24
37. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

I am sorry to see this is the first post made by this person and it is a complaint that should not have been made. Perhaps this poster is not a very seasoned traveler.

38. Re: Corperate Profit Trumps Customer Service/Satisfaction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 20, 2014