We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking difficulty

highland park, IL
reviews: 15
Walking difficulty

We are planning a Napa Trip our first next fall hopefully for Crush. When do we find out when that is for Fall 2014? Also walking is difficult for me so are there certain wineries to avoid or wineries that taken the visitors on a motorized vehicle? Thanks in advance!

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
reviews: 40
1. Re: Walking difficulty

Hi jody - great questions! Regarding crush 2014, only Mother Nature knows for sure! You'd be safe to plan your visit during September through first half of October to catch all the harvest and crush activities.

Napa Valley wineries and hotels are subject to ADA accessibility compliance, and I don't think you'll run into many 'scofflaws' in the valley, so plan your visit assuming you'll have no access issues. If you have doubts or questions about a specific winery, best to inquire with the hospitality director.

The Napa Valley Vintners website is handy for learning about each individual winery in a single website:

http://www.napavintners.com/

As far as motorized tours at the wineries (e.g. ATV, golf cart, tram), I can think of a couple off the top: Benzinger Family Winery and Gundlach-Bundschu Winery in Sonoma both offer an educational tram/4WD tour through the vineyards. Somerston Vineyards in Napa Valley offers an ATV tour through their property as well.

There are probably more, and I hope other posters will add to this thread.

Another idea would be to take the Wine Train:

http://winetrain.com/

highland park, IL
reviews: 15
2. Re: Walking difficulty

Thanks so much! My husband has always talked about the wine train! I appreciate the help!

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
3. Re: Walking difficulty

It sounds to me like you're not in a wheelchair, just have difficulty walking distances. I believe that ADA compliance means primarily they must accommodate wheelchair users, not that they've eliminated walking. There is a Sonoma Valley winery, Benziger, that does a vineyard tour on a tractor-pulled vehicle, and I know Sterling in the Napa Valley is accessed by a tram. And you don't have to take tours if you don't want, you can easily just do a tasting.

The Wine Train has different versions, so make sure you get one that stops at wineries, if that's how you want to visit them (the standard version is a scenic train ride with lunch).

Edited: 12:04 am, September 28, 2013
4. Re: Walking difficulty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 30, 2014