We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Which Napa Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 12
have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Will be there on Monday and Tuesday in February. Staying in Napa. Am thinking about visiting these wineries: Frogs Leap, Chateau Montelena, Jarvis, Schramberg, Quintessa, Quixote, and maybe Hess, Domaine Chandon, Mumm.

Monday, we will drive to Napa Valley from San Francisco, so that day will be a late start for wineries.

Tuesday, we have the entire day in Napa.

Re-driving- like nice scenic ways to get places....?maybe go on Silverado Trail if that works

Questions:

1. Is this a ridiculous number of wineries to visit ( some w tours, others not)?

2. In what order should we drive to them ( we have own car)?

3. Any tips about visiting these wineries will be appreciated.

Thank you.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 41
1. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Nine wineries in two days is probably pretty much the maximum... I usually recommend three wineries a day (maybe 4) so that you can relax, enjoy, have a nice lunch somewhere

Napa Valley basically has two north-south arteries, Silverado Trail and Hwy. 29. And yes, Silverado Trail is much prettier. I'd put the wineries you want to visit (plus anything else you want to see) on a custom Google map, so you can see geographic relationships, distances, etc.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

If sparkling wine is your focus, then make them a priority. Otherwise, cut them back to one or two. Schramsberg is difficult to make reservations at and has the best tour.

If you do Mumm, Quintessa, and Quixote, you have to go on the Silverado Trail.

Hess and Jarvis are very time consuming. They will take up most of a day.

As Susan suggests, plot them out on a google map.

Ohio
3. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

1. So they are all equally accessible - no bad roads, difficult driving conditions, or just plain old hard to find?

2. I am looking to create an interesting time w some variety. If I have to cut some wineries, which do you suggest?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
4. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

The roads aren't bad but the ones up to Jarvis and Hess are mountain roads and are somewhat twisty. The wineries are easy to find, however.

If you do Schramsberg, Chateau Montelena, and a couple of others in the Calistoga area, that would make one day's outing. Other wineries that are popular in that area are Castello di Amorosa, Sterling, Frank Family, Clos Pegase, and Dutch Henry. Other lesser known wineries include Storybook, Von Strasser, Viader, and Twomey. There are many others.

Another day could be Mumm, Quintessa, Frogs Leap, and Quixote which are all in the middle of the Valley.

A third option could be Hess, Jarvis, and then Del Dotto in Napa.

Ohio
5. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Thank you so much. This kind of information is very helpful, and is what I'm looking for.

Wondering if you might comment on one other topic-the wine and food pairings available in some wineries. Are they worth doing? If so, are there any in particular that you would recommend?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
6. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Del Dotto is worth doing. You need to reserve space on the Cave Experience at their Napa winery:

deldottovineyards.com/Del-Dotto-Caves.aspx

Wine and food pairings when offered are more expensive tasting options and are more time consuming. Whether they are worth it is hard to answer since different people would have varying opinions. If this is your focus, then maybe you should choose different wineries.

Ohio
7. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

OK - I will pass on the food and wine pairing option. Thanks for your advice.

For Chateau Montelena - I am thinking about the Estate Tour, which is 1 and half hours walking around outside, seeing the grounds, drinking the wine, and hearing about the history of the winery. It goes rain or shine. I am thinking about doing this. Do you think it is worthwhile, or just a waste of my time and money?

And, in case I forget to say this later, thanks for all your help.

reviews: 708
8. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

Del Dotto is definitely one not to miss! They produce some excellent Merlot. If you have time, Domaine Carneros is also very nice in this area. :).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
9. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

If it fits in with your schedule, by all means do the Estate Tour at Chateau Montelena. This is an historic winery in many ways. It's even more interesting if you've seen the movie "Bottle Shock".

10. Re: have wineries selected; need help with order to visit them

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2014