We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking to Culebrita?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 53
Kayaking to Culebrita?

Is it possible? How long does it take?

Thanks!

Tennessee
reviews: 4
1. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Do a search on this forum link http://www.islaculebra.com/index.htm. This subject was recently discussed.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
2. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

It is probably possible for avid kayakers who are used to using sit upon kayaks in ocean waves and know the area. I have not heard of anyone kayaking there. You would have to check the currents, wind and waves before trying it. Call the people who rent the kayaks and see what they say, but I think not for your average person. It isn't amazingly far from Playa Larga or Zoni (maybe 1 mile) but it is on the north side of the island, which is usually rough.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 53
3. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Thank you!

We have a experience canoeing. We canoed in the Boundary Waters for 5 days for our honeymoon. :)

I read the posts on that Isla Culebra website and see that most people who choose to kayak somewhere choose to go to Luis Pena. So maybe that is a better idea because of the current and swells.

Any thoughts on kayaking to Luis Pena? I will check around the forums but any information is appreciated.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
4. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Yes, I have kayaked to Luis Pena. It is a safer crossing due to it being a channel. Also about 1 mile.

You can go from town where you rent the kayaks or we went from tamarindo beach.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 4
5. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

We have also kayaked to Luis Pena. It was our first time ever in a kayak and we were fine. It's about one mile and we left from the dock at Culebra Bike Rental. $50 per double kayak.

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 2
6. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Does anyone actually have experience kayaking to Culebrita? If so, could you share your insights? So far, I've read that it is feasible if your experienced, yet others have cautioned about currents and hammerheads. What's the real story, please?

Edited: 12:01 am, September 06, 2013
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
reviews: 7
7. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

I used to sail these waters. If you are talking about from Puerto Rico to Culebra you are in open seas with sudden storms. You would be crazy to attempt it forget it.

Ellis Puerto Rico

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
reviews: 42
8. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Ellis,

You're probably one of the best people to shed some light on the topic. However, they're asking about kayaking from Culebra to Culebrita, not from the main island to Culebra. Any thoughts?

Edited: 10:52 am, September 06, 2013
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
reviews: 7
9. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

I'm sorry misunderstood. Thought I was saving a life. I've been to both places by boat not Kayak. Just be careful you should be all right

Ellis Puerto Rico

Caguas, Puerto Rico
reviews: 12
10. Re: Kayaking to Culebrita?

Canoeing is not the same as kayaking. Kayaking requires far more balancing effort for the entire body, it is more vulnerable for wind conditions and water currents.

You can canoe along with the current and it is a swift ride, from point A to point B. but kayaking to Culebrita requires going from point A to point B, and then back to point A. This means heading against sea current and winds, under the scolching sun.

Culebra is a nice island with tons of hidden beaches. I would use my energies to just kayak around the island and enjoy the beautiful scenery.